008.

• ───────────────── •

Danny, Cole, and Jamie tiptoed through the front door, their hushed voices echoing in the silence as they aimed to avoid detection.

Katherine's eyes narrowed as she caught sight of them. "Where have you guys been?" she asked, a mix of worry and annoyance evident in her voice.

"We went to a party," Jamie blurted out, her words slightly slurred from the effects of alcohol.

Cole quickly intervened, trying to shield Jamie. "It was my idea. I practically dragged her along," he confessed, hoping to alleviate some of the blame from Jamie.

Danny, who had been silently observing, handed Katherine the car keys. "I was just the designated driver," he added, his voice tinged with guilt.

Katherine sighed, appearing exhausted. "Goodnight," she said, dismissing Danny as he headed upstairs.

Just as Danny left, George appeared, his stern expression making their hearts skip a beat. "Where have you been?" he questioned, his tone brooding.

Katherine interjected, her frustration evident. "I already handled that part," she informed George, implying that she had reprimanded Danny.

George turned his attention back to Jamie, concern etched on his face. "Okay, well, have you reached the point where they're grounded for the whole weekend?" he asked, his disappointment palpable.

Cole, always the protector, stepped forward, attempting to take the blame. "It's my fault," he admitted, aiming to shield Jamie from further consequences.

Katherine, firm yet compassionate, motioned for Jamie to follow her upstairs. "Jamie, let's go upstairs," she said softly, her voice conveying a mixture of disappointment and worry. "Is this going to become a problem?" she asked, searching for answers.

"Why would it?" Jamie retorted defensively, feeling a surge of frustration and guilt.

Uncertainty clouded Katherine's eyes as she gentled her tone. "Because your uncle told me how you used to go out every weekend," she replied, hoping for an explanation.

"I don't do that anymore," Jamie said, her voice tinged with sadness. "Not since they died. I don't want to be like that again," she confessed, tears slowly streaming down her face.

Katherine's heart softened, pulling Jamie into an understanding embrace. "Oh sweetie," she murmured, offering comfort and solace to her niece. She hadn't realized how deeply Jamie still carried the pain of losing her family.

Seeking solace in her room, Jamie crawled into her bed, feeling a weight of guilt and regret settle upon her.

Jackie's bitter tone cut through the silence. "Have fun?" she asked, her resentment evident.

"Don't start, Jackie," Jamie snapped, her emotions on edge.

"I had to deal with you like this before, and I'm not doing it again," Jackie retaliated. "You knew how much Mom, Dad, and Lucy hated it, so why did you do it?" she questioned, her words laced with disappointment.

Frustration bubbled within Jamie. "Okay, I get it! I screwed up again," she admitted, her voice laced with self-loathing. "I'm so sorry I'm not perfect like you, Jackie," she retorted, her own insecurities fueling her anger.

"I'm not saying you have to be perfect, I am certainly not perfect. I'm just saying maybe you should like about others once in a while and not just yourself." Jackie said making Jamie feel even worse about herself.

Jackie's response hit Jamie hard, making her feel even worse about herself. Silent tears welled up in Jamie's eyes as she turned away, unable to bear the weight of Jackie's words. Without a word, she left the room, seeking refuge downstairs, yearning to distance herself from Jackie's judgment.