Birthday Mornings

Start from the beginning

"No, I'm just going to wait. The costumes won't fit right if I eat now."

Emma's face softened and she wrapped her arms around Taylor's body. "Oh, honey, no. I know you don't always believe me when I tell you that you're the most perfect person I have ever seen, but it's true. You don't need to change anything about yourself. The clothes are supposed to fit you, not the other way around. If something doesn't fit because you ate breakfast and gave your body what it needs to get through the day, then it needs to be altered anyway."

"Everyone is going to see me in it."

"And you are going to look absolutely stunning. If you try something on that makes you too uncomfortable then you don't have to wear it."

Taylor looked back at the box of muffins on the bed and slowly nodded. "Please come with me."

"I will, Tay. Now get dressed and get something to eat because we've got to hurry."

It took all of ten minutes for them to get in the car and leave. It would have taken a lot longer had Taylor needed to fully get ready, but she didn't. The man that was frantically rushing around the small room when they arrived had on a pair of pants that looked like it was made out of fabric scraps from previous projects. He had long hair tied in a messy bun. A large tomato shaped pin cushion was stitched to his shoulder in a way that seemed both convenient and incredibly painful if he were to turn his head the wrong direction.

He stopped the second he noticed them standing in the doorway. He put down the pile of black silk he was holding and rushed over to them. Taylor watched as Emma stuck out her hand for the man to shake, but he pulled her in and kissed both of her cheeks. He looked at Taylor and, before she could comprehend what was happening, kissed both of her cheeks as well.

"Nice to meet you, mademoiselles. I am Pierre. You sit." He pointed to Emma and then to the couch against one of the walls. Once Emma had done what he had requested, he turned his finger towards Taylor. "You come with me."

Taylor looked back at Emma for reassurance before following the small man with the thick accent back further into the building. The door led into another small room, filled to the brim with clothing racks and fabric that had been haphazardly tossed on nearly every surface. Sparkly bodysuits in every color were hanging on one particular clothing rack beside the makeshift fitting room in the corner. Pierre picked up the plain black one and held it up to her body, cocking his head to the side slightly as he stared at it. "Pretty, yes?"

"Yes." Taylor slowly nodded at the idea of wearing that. It was pretty. It wasn't exactly what she had wanted to try on during this session but, to be fair, nothing was.

"Put it on." Pierre handed it to her and shooed her towards the fitting room.

Once she had changed into the tight outfit and spent some time soul searching in the mirror, she hesitantly opened the curtain to find Pierre and Emma staring intently. Emma smiled the second she saw her. She moved her arms over her stomach when Emma started looking her up and down.

"Stop it, Taylor. You look absolutely gorgeous."

"She is right, you know. You are absolutely stunning. What do you think? It would look beautiful with all the lights," Pierre said with his voice low, like somehow speaking too loud would disturb the sanctity of the fabric. 

Taylor looked in the large, lit up mirror on the wall and ran her hands over the shoulders of the bodysuit. It was long sleeved, but had small cutouts just above her shoulder on either side. It wasn't her favorite thing she'd ever worn, but right now she doubted she would find something that she felt extremely confident in. Plus, Emma and Pierre both seemed to agree that it was nice. "Yeah, it would. Do you think you could add a hood?"