Fern likes flowers

It was a normal, calm day.

Frieren and her companions were enjoying their stay in a peaceful town, where white clouds were drifting and the gentle wind was blowing. As usual, Frieren was too lazy to walk out of the inn and enjoy any fresh air, and let everyone be free to wander.

After taking a walk around the weapon shops and the meadows, Stark climbed on a tree by the lake. Stark has always liked high places, where he can look at the clouds being hung on the sky far away, while letting his mind wander and his imagination set free. Today is also such a day.

Sometimes Stark wishes the peaceful days would continue forever, but sometimes he wishes for some exciting changes. Then the word "change" reminded him of his past, of the roaring fire that ate everything. Then he just wants more peace.

To distract himself from unpleasant thoughts, Stark looked around the lake. He discovered a small flower field, a lovely one, and the familiar violet, long and silky hair of a certain girl.

It was Fern. Fern was sniffing some flowers, carrying a small basket. In the basket, there were some lilies, some lavenders, and some flowers that Stark couldn't see clearly from the top of the tree.

Stark wondered what Fern was doing, she didn't tell him anything when they left the inn. Stark thought maybe she was collecting ingredients for a spell or something.

He was too curious about it, but he didn't want Fern to think that he was a stalker, suddenly appearing behind her. "That would be creepy for a girl, maybe..." Stark thought.

So he secretly climbed down the tree, and silently approached Fern, while holding his breath. "Now what... I just wanna find out what she was doing, and then I silently go away... I don't want her to find out!" Stark thought.

Just when Stark got near Fern, he realized something.

"Her hair smells so good!"

Stark had to know what kind of flower Fern was using when she washed her hair. "Maybe next time I'd gift her that type of flower... maybe..." Stark thought.

To get a clue of the flower, Stark had no choice but sniff her hair. "Sniffing her hair... is this going too far!? If I'm very, very careful... She won't find out..."

Just as Stark moved his nose near Fern's hair...

"Good! I'm all done. It's time to return to Frieren-sama's place and give her these ingredients..."

Fern turned around!

To her surprise, the face and the red hair of the familiar shy boy was in front of her...

More importantly, her lips is right on that boy's lips!

Frozen by shock, both the youngsters couldn't mutter a word for several seconds, their faces being beet-red.

Fern was the one who broke the silence:

"Stark-sama...? What are you doing here?"

Stark was extremely flustered and could just mumble:

"I was... just wandering around."

With complete disbelief, Fern said:

"Is there any chance that you were... stalking..."

"No! No! I wasn't doing that at all! It's not like I was curious about what you were doing and tried to get near you to find out!"

"Eh..." Fern thought Stark is actually cute when he's flustered, and almost wanted to tease him more.

"Take responsibility."

"Eh?" Stark couldn't believe what he heard from Fern. What responsibility?

"That was... my first kiss." Fern was flustered and looked away when she said this.

"Eh? Eh!?" Stark was in complete cluelessness. "What? Her first kiss? Just now? Should I apologize!? What should I even say!?" he thought.

"What? Is Stark-sama a playboy? Someone who would not even take responsibility after taking a girl's first time?" Fern frowned while she attempted to tease Stark again.

"Ah... Well..." Stark's brain is still frozen, he isn't able to respond properly.

Fern just smiled. She knew this is why she likes the boy standing in front of her at the first place. He's cute when he's clumsy, but she will never betray her.

And then Fern gently came close to Stark.

Fern gave Stark a kiss on the cheek, and she walked away, leaving Stark in such a confused state.

Then Stark saw Fern looking back at him.

"I'm expecting a lot from you in the next days, Stark!"

Those were her last words before she returned to the inn.

From a tree nearby, some people could see the stance of a lovely elf looking at the couple from a distance, with a mischievous smile.