CHAPTER FOURTEEN; say don't go

Start from the beginning

"I don't want you getting hurt again, either." Mindy frowned.

"I know. I know." Chad rested his head on her shoulder.

Tara then hugged against Mindy's other side. I wrapped my own arms around myself and leaned against Chad.

"So what do we do now?" Chad asked.

"Maybe he gets to win this time." Sam spoke and we all looked over at her. She stood up. "He wants to punish me. Me. So maybe I let him. I'll just give myself up. If this is what I have to do to keep you safe, it's worth it."

"No, we're not doing that, Sam." Tara immediately protested. "Alright, you went back to Woodsboro to protect me. Every single day, you make the decision to protect me. None of us would even be alive if it weren't for you. You have to let us protect you this time."

"No." Sam shook her head.

"Yes." Tara nodded. "We're a team, remember?"

"Actually," Mindy stood up. "We're a family."

Chad jumped to his feet. "Let's go! Thriving Five! Come on."

He put his hand in the middle of the little circle and looked back at me as Mindy put her hand on top of his.

I stood up and put my hand on Mindy's.

"Thriving Five." Mindy chuckled while Tara put her hand on mine.

"Come on."

"Thriv... What?" Danny asked.

"It's an us thing." Chad waved him away.

"He's gonna keep coming after us." Sam frowned.

"Isn't there somewhere, like, safe we could just hole up in?" Ethan asked and we all turned back to look at him.

"No, he's just gonna keep finding us." Tara answered.

Ethan sighed. "Great."

"We could use that, though." Tara spoke again and looked up at Sam.

Two minutes later Tara had Bailey on speakerphone for us all to hear.

"I'm getting my ass chewed out for not dropping the case and now you want me to do what?"

"We want to lure him to a secure location and trap him inside." Tara explained.

"And then what?"

"We execute him." There was silence on the other end. "Are you gonna help us?"

"Let's kill the son of a bitch. Now, I'm stuck here, but Gale gave us the keycards to the theater. It's got heavy surveillance and security cameras, but we can use that against him."

I looked up from the phone and around at my friends, my eyes meeting Chad's for a split second before we both looked down at Tara's phone.

"I'll tell Kirby to meet you there. I'll join you as soon as I can."

"Got it."

"And remember, travel in public. The more people around you, the less chance he has to take a shot at you before you get there."

---

"Is this even a good plan?" Ethan asked as we all headed down the stairs to the subway.

The subway itself was packed full of people in Halloween costumes. It was October 31st.

"You don't have to come if you don't want to." Tara told him.

"So we just peel off and the killer picks us off one by one? No, thank you." Ethan looked at me with wide eyes for a second before back down at the stairs.

"Let's just get to the theater. Come on, in here." Sam said, heading towards one of the trains.

"Ah, yes, because it'll be much less scary at the serial killer movie theater." Chad commented sarcastically.

My hand slipped from Ethan's in the large crowd as we got onto the train.

"Wait, where's Mindy?" Chad asked and we looked back as she called out for him.

"Chad!"

"Mindy! Mindy! Mindy!" Chad kept half his body out the door so he could get to his sister. "Let's go. Let's go. Shit!"

Chad was pulled back into the train and the doors closed properly. Mindy was left on the station as the train pulled away.

"Where's Mindy?" Sam asked.

"She missed the train." Chad explained. "I was gonna wait for her, but Cute Boy here dragged me on."

"I was trying to keep us together."

"By pulling us apart?" Tara raised her eyebrows and as I looked around, I realized Ethan had been left behind too.

"It's okay. It's okay. It's fine." Chad repeated, looking down at his phone. "She's with Ethan. She'll meet us there."

Chad slipped his phone into his pocket.

"Oh, shit." He then spoke, looking ahead, but I couldn't see what he was looking at. I was stood behind him, and he was so tall.

I leaned around his shoulder, saw multiple people in Ghostface costumes, and looked away.

"Oh, fuck off." I muttered.

"How many stops do we have?" Tara asked.

"Ten." Answered Sam.

The lights in the train flickering really weren't helping with the situation at all.

"Still nothing from Mindy." Chad spoke after a while when the train came to another stop.

"Guys?" Sam got our attention while someone in a Ghostface costume walked closer and closer to us.

Danny stepped in front of Sam, and the person in the costume just walked off the train.