"I'll find you, Avery. I promise, I'll be back!!" He howls.

Austin struggles not to press on the still-bleeding wound on Avery's leg, but there's only so much he can do with the boy thrashing like an animal. Austin focuses on getting out instead, the sooner he can get Avery into a more controlled environment, the closer Avery gets to safety. He doesn't pay attention to the subdued masses, or the girls who are walked, single file, out of the manor.

By the time Austin has gotten Avery outside, where the air is lit up with flashing blue and red light, Avery has fallen still, fingers clutching tight to Austin's shoulders, legs curled up under Austin's arm, still quietly begging and sobbing. His wings hang limp, the muddy ground soiling their white tips. Austin approaches one of the ambulances, laying Avery down on a cot. The motion reignites Avery's fight, who once again attempts to launch himself out of grasp. Austin, however, is faster, slamming the angel back down, much rougher than he'd intended.

With Avery's terror-filled eyes still fixed on Austin, a paramedic slips a needle filled with a barbiturate into Avery's wrist, and Austin watches as he's dragged down into an induced stupor, head slowly dropping back and eyes becoming hazy and unfocused. The ambulance doors slam shut, and the sound jolts Avery's half-asleep state. Barely conscious, but just conscious enough to react with a fearful shudder as his tunic is pulled upward.

Austin holds Avery's leg upwards as the paramedics press hard onto the wound with gauze, holding the awkward position. The procedure draws a pained whine from Avery, and if he wasn't sedated, Austin is sure he'd be fighting to his last breath. The bleeding is stopped by the time the ambulance pulls into the emergency room entryway, and Austin keeps out of the way while Avery is wheeled down the hall, keeping up at a brisk lope. The entire process is a lot more underwhelming than Austin normally expects from an ER. It's busy and late at night, so Avery's leg is sewn and bandaged up by a tired looking nurse who rushes just a bit too much for Austin's liking. While Avery is being tended to, Jazmyn enters the room. Austin is only vaguely aware of Avery's half open eyes fixed onto him, seated in a chair next to the bed, his attention is too captivated by Jaz, far too many questions forming their way into his already crowded thoughts, so he asks the simplest one.

"Updates?" Austin asks, arms folded across his chest.

"No other residents found, girls are all human," Jaz starts. She hesitates, looking over at Avery. She leans over to grab a second chair from the bed next to them. She sits across from Austin, crossing her legs. "We... don't have any more rooms. We can't take the boy." She says, gesturing to Avery.

"Avery." Austin corrects. "His name is Avery. At least that's.. that's what Linus called him." Austin says, sighing heavily. His foot taps erratically against the ground. "So where's he going?" He asks, brows knitting together, looking over to the boy, their eyes meeting. Normally he'd be the first to look away with this kind of situation, but Avery's eyes are captivating. Dizzying if he glances away and absolutely magnetic. Jazmyn shrugs, watching the nurse finish up and leave.

"A foster home, maybe. Probably a mental hospital, considering how he acted on the way here." Jazmyn says, folding her arms and looking towards Avery, lifted brows pinching together with worry.

A mental hospital? He doesn't like that idea. It works for some people, but he gets the feeling that they won't be sympathetic to his cause as an angel. A foster home doesn't sound much better at all. They're always full and chaotic, and putting angels in the hands of strangers is a risky business. For all they know it could be out of the frying pan into the fire for him.

"I'll take him." Austin says, finally pulling his eyes away from Avery. Jazmyn looks at him, opening her mouth, closing it again, and opening it once more. He's pretty sure he can see the five stages of grief go through her face in a matter of seconds.

"Austin," she starts, then stops, squinting her eyes. "I- fine. Okay. Yes." She says, nodding. Her reaction is both amusing and unsettling. He can't tell if she's truly okay with the idea or just taking a leap of faith.

"Are you sure?" He asks. Her glare in response is enough to raise his hands in surrender. "Don't answer that." He snorts, his cheek dimpling on one side as a crooked grin takes over his face. She rolls her eyes and stands.

"Don't hesitate to call if you need. I am your sister, after all. You're allowed to ask for help." She sighs, heading for the door. She glances back at him with a small smile, and for a split second, she reminds him of their mother. Austin nods and watches her turn to leave. He leans back in his chair and turns towards Avery, who has been watching him this whole time. He huffs and stands.

"Welp, let's get you discharged and home, I guess." He sighs, heading for the door.

He manages to find the reception desk and signs the discharge papers for Avery. Considering Avery's lack of government identity, it's a complex process, and by the time Austin is back to Avery, the sun is rising, and the angel is upright. Tired, but definitely awake.

ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ ᓚᘏᗢ

Thanks for reading :)