Behind The Silence

Start from the beginning

Scarlett took a deep breath. "Is the girl an accomplice?"

"Apparently, she willingly went to the police station as soon as the news came out on television. I don't know all the details; I'll find out as soon as they pass me the trial papers."

Scarlett nodded. "If she was an accomplice, Harold, I want her to pay for it."

"Of course, Scarlett."

Once out of the office, Scarlett sighed and stood on the street for a few seconds with her cap and sunglasses, observing people passing by, oblivious to her, carrying on with their lives. She watched them as she relaxed, and in that moment, she could only think of her precious daughter June, who awaited her on a hospital bed, unable to move, of Lizzie, who deserved rest, and of wanting to see June's smile again.

She was about to cross the street when she saw a toy store and immediately felt a tug pulling her towards it. She headed there.

While Lizzie was engrossed in reading one of her Hattie Harmoney stories, June remained silent, listening. Suddenly, a noise interrupted Lizzie's voice, and the door to the private room swung open, revealing Scarlett laden with two bags and a huge smile.

"How was my little love bug today?" Scarlett asked with enthusiasm, her smile unwavering. Even though June didn't respond, just seeing her little one alive and recovering was the most important thing for Scarlett. "Mom brought some goodies for her baby," she continued, trying to convey her excitement to her daughter.

"Wow, June, how many things they brought for you," said Lizzie, joining Scarlett, though her direct gaze was filled with sadness, contrasting with her cheerful tone.

Scarlett maintained her composure and planted a kiss on June's forehead, then gently caressed her cheek. "Let's see if you can guess what each thing is just by looking at the wrapping," Scarlett smiled as she produced a gift wrapped in wrapping paper. June observed it with curiosity, but her lips remained sealed. "From the shape, you know what it is, right, sweetheart?" Scarlett insisted, hoping to elicit some reaction from her little one.

June examined the distinct shape of a plush toy wrapped up and eventually nudged her little dancing mouse, which had been brought to her almost on the second day. Scarlett smiled at her daughter's great effort, mindful of the painful expression on her little face.

"That's it, Mom will help you." She began to unwrap the gift, revealing a Paddington Bear. Scarlett almost swore she saw a faint smile on June's lips as she recognized it; they had watched the movie the day before, and Scarlett noticed how much June liked the teddy bear. "I saw Paddington, and he wanted to come with you." She placed the plush toy beside her, and June, with her good arm, began to stroke it. Seeing her daughter on a hospital bed, barely able to move due to pain, continued to break Scarlett's heart.

Although she and Colin hadn't openly discussed what happened, both were affected by the experience. Rose wasn't the same either; she constantly asked to go see her sister to make sure no one was tricking her and that June was okay.

"Let's see what else Mom brought." Scarlett removed the wrapping, revealing some sticker books. Another thing Scarlett had discovered about her little daughter was her fascination with putting stickers everywhere. Rose had given her some, and they all ended up in places like the fridge or Scarlett's studio wall, even in the toilet. "You should see where these stickers would look best in this book, and these others are for you to decorate this notebook." She showed a basic notebook in a muted color, knowing that, for now, her little one couldn't draw with her injured dominant arm. Seeing the stickers, Scarlett envisioned it as something she could do with a bit of assistance.

"I have another surprise, but that won't arrive until tomorrow." She tapped her nose and then looked at Lizzie, who was watching them, holding back tears. Scarlett pleaded with her eyes not to do it, as she knew that once Lizzie broke into tears, she wouldn't be able to hold back either.