adventures and airborne men

Start from the beginning

"I really don't know, but i have a good feeling about this. And look at this, i know i got in so i can just send my money home so you can keep paying the bills until you've found yourself a nice job" The older brother had this plan since their father had offered both to join the airborne.

He would be able to join with no problem, that much was guaranteed. He was a man, of course he would be guaranteed a spot. He hoped the higher-ups gave his sister the benefit of the doubt, she was a hard worker and would do a lot to accomplish her goals. Not without some complaining of course, but that was a trait both the siblings had; they both liked to complain about the most stupid and unimportant stuff to ever exist. They'd complain about so many things, but only ever to each other, and it would always end up with the two of them giggling like little schoolchildren.

"You ready?" James asked his sister, already raising his hand slightly, making a move to knock on the office door.

"No, but i don't think i'll ever be, go for it" the woman said, gesturing for her brother to knock on the door before she bolted, packed her bags and simply walked home out of pure fear.

After knocking, the usual "Come in!" from their father was not there. Instead, a black haired man that neither Joanne or James knew opened the door for them and let Jo in, leaving James to wait outside of the office.

After walking in, she noticed that also present in the office were her father, of course, and Dick. Jo could feel herself almost trembling with nerves and was hoping her fear wasn't radiating off of her.

"Joanne, stand before me at attention please." The Colonel said. Joanne wasn't in the military, but she wasn't stupid, so she did what her father asked her to; stand at attention.

"I've spent a long, long time trying to introduce the idea of women working and training in the army to many, many men. It took a long while of convincing but eventually, they agreed to make it.... a test of sorts, to call it that. Now, we just needed a woman daring and fit enough to do that, we thought it would be easy but not one woman we tried to recruit from the WAAC offices was fit or strong enough. Nor were they ready to spend the coming years with only men around them" That did not make Joanne feel better in the slightest. How was she supposed to succeed while so many others weren't even able to stomach the feeling of being around so many men for so long? She felt as if she was doomed already.

Her father didn't pause his explanation and continued talking, "So, i introduced the idea of you, my daughter joining. Today, i got word back from the General, and in his words, he thinks "If your daughter's even a fraction of who you are, she'll be a damn fine soldier." We trust you. Good Luck with the entry tests, i'll leave you to Captain Sobel and Lieutenant Winters now, they'll explain everything to you"

Joanne was completely perplexed, to say the least. She was also happy, happy that they were willing to give her a chance, happy that the idea of women doing a 'man's job' was trying to be pushed out into the world. Only if she knew what - or rather, who - she would be facing now.

Turning to the black haired man, she was at a loss as to what to do, he must have sensed that she didn't quite know what to do.

"Private Sink, from now on you'll have to salute me, or there will be consequences."

He sounded so full of himself and Joanne hated him already. What didn't help was that he also looked incredibly stupid.

"Yes, sorry sir" She said while saluting, not wanting to get in trouble already.

As they walked out the door and out the offices. Once in the open air again, Sobel started talking again, him not even noticing James had joined them.

"I personally think women don't belong in the army, or doing a man's job in general. But you were chosen to be in Easy Company, my company for this experiment, so i'm gonna be in charge of you and your brother. Now, let me be clear when i say you will get no special treatment at all while you are here. You will reside with all the other men and will train just as hard as them, probably train even harder since you already missed about two months of training"

Great, she had a C.O who didn't really want her there and had absolutely no trust in her. Not only that, but she would be surrounded with men who also had absolutely no trust in her, she just hoped James would be there for her.

"Do you understand that, private?" Sobel turned towards the woman in-front of him.

"Yes sir, I understand completely" she answered.

"Good. Oh, privates Sink, you won't be in the same platoons, if you even make it. Joanne, you will be placed in 2nd platoon. James, you shall be placed in 3rd platoon. Now, this won't be a problem, I hope?"

"No sir" James answered for the both of them. It wasn't a problem for him at least.

.・。.・゜✭・.
Author's note:
Happy 2024!!! I hope everyone had an amazing holiday season and a good new year! Sorry for not uploading for so long, the upcoming holiday season was really tiring for me and writing was not something I was really thinking of, but I'm back now and hoping to publish again!!💖