Chapter Twenty- Louis

Start from the beginning

"There's more," whispered Harry, pointing at the wrapping.

Louis looked at what Harry pointed at, his heart melting even more. It was a scarf. It was red, just like the wrapping, knitted. Louis touched it, the yarn soft beneath his fingertips.

"It's 'cause you're always cold," Harry murmured. "And you refuse to dress warmly enough."

"I do," Louis weakly protested.

"Then where is your winter coat, Lou?"

"Um, my dog ate it."

"Lou, you don't have a dog."

"Oh. Well, shit."

Harry cackled, kissing Louis behind his ear. "What do you think? I know it's not a lot—"

"Haz, this is absolutely perfect. I... I don't know what to say. I can't wait to read this version of Emma, with all your notes. And I love the scarf. It's so bloody lovely."

"Yeah?"

"Yes." Louis leaned in to kiss Harry's cheek. "Thank you. I love them."

Harry leaned against Louis' side. "You're welcome." He kissed Louis' temple. "Happy birthday."

"Once again, thank you, Baby."

"Wanna go take a shower? I can give you a couple of birthday presents in there as well if you'd like." He wriggled his eyebrows suggestively.

"God, you're a dork," Louis chuckled, leaning into Harry. "But yes. I'd like that, please."

* * *

Dressed in Christmas hats and sweaters, they descended the stairs forty-five minutes later. They were walking hand in hand, Louis in front of Harry. It was still only nine in the morning, and none of the girls seemed to be awake if they were to judge on the lack of noises. But Louis did smell pancakes from the kitchen.

"Good morning, Mom," he called out, walking through the living room to the kitchen. Harry followed him, hands still intertwined between them.

"Sweetheart," Jay greeted them as they stepped inside. She was also dressed in a Christmas sweater, her hair collected in a bun. In front of her on the stove, pancakes were baking. "Happy birthday."

Louis let go of Harry, stepping over to her. He placed a kiss on her cheek. "Thank you. Breakfast smells lovely."

"Only the best for my birthday boy." She beamed at him. "Good morning, Harry. Slept well?"

"Yeah, I did," Harry said. "Thank you, Jay."

"Sit down, you two." Jay gestured to the table. "I'll make you some tea. And then give you your presents from me, Louis. Also, your dad comes by in two hours and will be staying for about two and a half before he drives up North to spend the rest of his day with his friends."

"Sounds lovely," Louis said. "I've missed him."

"I know you have," Jay said, smiling.

Jay continued making pancakes, Louis directing his attention to Harry. Softly he said, "Merry Christmas, love."

Harry intertwined their fingers on the table. "Happy birthday, Lou."

"Excited to meet my father?" Louis questioned, playing around with Harry's fingers.

"Kinda, yeah," Harry grinned. "And nervous as hell."

"No need to be," Jay said, placing some tea mugs in front of them. She put tea bags in them and poured boiling water into them. "Mark is looking forward to meeting you. You'll crawl right under his skin as you've done with the rest of us."