Because the kids we've given a voice to have nothing to say

En başından başla

"Like superwoman?" I watch Amelia cuddle into her dad's shoulder as the truck stops in front of the emergency.

"Kind of." I watch Howie smile and watch everyone get out of the truck leaving her behind.

"I'll be back, Mils. Don't run off." I watch Amelia frown as her Buck gets out and puts his helmet on.

"Hey, who's watching Amelia if Buck's putting out the fire?!" I yell to the team and watch them point to me as if I am it.

Great.

First day of firefighter probation and I'm already on babysitting duty even though I do that all the time when Carla isn't free.

"You see that hose over there, they hook it up to the fire hidrant that provides water for the neighborhood emergencies." I tried my best to explain what was going on during the house fire to Amelia since she was younger than Chris and most likely wouldn't get this firefighter stuff.

"When is my dad going to be done with work? Where's my backpack?" I watch Amelia take her headphones off and out them back in the bin that Howie had them in.

He can be a bit OCD about the truck sometimes.

I learned that from my firefighter station orientation.

"Our shift doesn't end till 10 pm tonight. Is their something that you need from your backpack?" I look around the truck for something to entertain her with or teach her about firefighting with.

"Nevermind." I watch her cross her arms as I watch the team put out the house fire from afar.

"Do you want to play a game on my phone?" I ask even though we aren't allowed to do that while on duty.

"I don't want you. I want momma." I hear her say as I watch Hen run back to the truck to grab her extra medical bag that's in the bottom of the truck.

I glance over at Hen but she seems too busy getting out gauze from her bag.

Must be burn wounds.

"When are we going back to the station?" I hear Amelia say in a angry tone.

Someone's feisty.

Amelia looks like she's 10 or 11 years old but she acts like she's 13.

"Once they have taken care of the victims from the fire. Do you want me to get your dad?" I ask her since I am trying to be the respectful adult here.

"No. He's too busy and by the time we get home I'll be asleep and won't got my birthday treat." I watch her roll her eyes and cross her arms.

I bet that's a Buck trait.

I barely even introduced myself to him and already know more about him from his teammates than I should.

Chim said Buck has moods.

He was right.

Buck's daughter takes after him.

"I have a pack of m&ms in my pocket from my pantry. My son is on a no sweets diet. Do you want some?" I take out the snack size package of candy that I am not supposed to have in my uniform and open my hand out for her.

"Can I?" I watch Amelia's eyes light up as if her special treat is chocolate and I guessed it.

"Of course, go ahead, mija." I say to her.

I didn't mean to say mija at the end of my sentence. It just slipped.

It's a small pack of candy with maybe 8 m&ms but it seems like what she has been craving.