Chapter 14

SUBCONSCIOUS

After a few days, we had another meeting to discuss the progress of Selenia's medicine and to vote for the decision whether or not to let Season take the potion.

We decided to prioritize Season before upholding our plan to infiltrate the Nakamura hideout. As Terra said, if our calculations are right, the Nakamuras won't make a move anytime soon, since they already lost their strongest weapon. And they still don't know that we've already figured them out.

But we can't be completely complacent, too. That's why we're immediately rebuilding our defenses and carefully planning how we infiltrate their hideout. We don't want anymore people hurt. Not even Nakamura's people. They're mostly civilians, we presume. And we're not allowed to harm civilians. So, we have to be really careful.

But our top priority right now is Season. Time is running out for her. If we don't decide on something, it might be too late.

We chose to inform her foster mom, Penelope about her condition. Terra had a difficult time breaking the news to her, but we believed she should know the truth about what happened to her daughter. Penelope crumbled upon hearing the news. But eventually, she recollected herself and placed her trust on the idea that Season will get better.

Now, Penelope joins us in deciding about the potion.

Selenia restates her process and the whole plan. Now that she talks a bit slower, I kind of understand the general idea.

Basically, she will be reversing the process that she did with Arastus' sedative. Instead of putting a person in a deep sleep, this new potion will try to wake up a person who's already in a deep sleep.

"I guess the Nakamuras aren't the only ones who have a reverse card," I say to Bloom beside me. "If you know what I mean."

"I know. But don't distract me, I'm concentrating," she shoves me away.

Anyways, back to the topic. The potion will also aim to revitalize Season's organs for them to function well again.

Normally, when talking about ordinary human medicine, it is difficult to restore a deteriorating organ back to its healthy state. It needs to be replaced, which is why and how transplant is discovered. But for chi users, even transplant does not help.

So the only resolution is to restore those organs, which could be hopefully done through Selenia's potion.

"Once Season takes the potion, we have to observe her for a few days," Selenia continues. "We'll have to monitor her vitals and check if the organs are beginning to restore and function better. Aside from that, we'll monitor if there is any activity in her brain. We can check that using the ordinary EEG. If it takes longer than seven days without any activity or changes, then that means the first trial failed. And then, we'd be moving on to the second trial, a stronger dose."

"How many trials can we have?" Penelope asks.

"I have a max of three. But the third one is...it's a bit risky. It has a really strong dose. It might...it might have a stronger side effect. I want you all to know that Season's body could take a toll in every failed trial. Hence, it is ideal if we can just use one. The first trial is our best bet."

There was a long silence after that. I know each of us is thinking of something to lessen the risk. But I, myself, could not find any. I am not knowledgeable about medicine. I couldn't contribute in that aspect. The only thing I can do is to trust the person who is the most well-versed with this kind of situation. And that is none other than Selenia.

"I'll vote for it," Penelope says. "I agree on giving this potion to my daughter. I give consent."

We all look at Penelope as she continues.