To Face One's Fears

Start from the beginning

" While my concerns for the boys sleeping arrangements for this night are alleviated. You are yet to answer my question." Completely disregarding Anastasia's attempt to change the topic, Echidna repeated her question.

With a nervous chuckle, Anastasia answered, " Nothing important really." She added, "Were you lonely?"

" That boy truly did rub off of you. It was to be expected, but still disappointing." Echidna's tone and response shut down any attempt to avoid answering her question. " It's your memories isn't it?"

" Was it really that easy to guess? But, then again, what else could worry me in here?" Her statement was finished with a solemn voice. Was it the fact that she was seen thru that bothered her, or conflicted feelings regarding her instincts? One couldn't know for sure.

She could feel Echidna nuzzle her leg as the spirit answered her, " It is an important thing, so worrying isn't shameful, but I get the feeling that isn't all."

" Yes you are right, there is something else." She sat down on the stairs in front of their house, her expression tired and body just as much, although for different reasons. Echidna took the opportunity to put her head on Anastasia's shoulder, a gesture that showed her desire to listen as much as to protect.

" It is not a separate issue, as much as it is the part of the main one. I don't know if this is the best course of action."

" How so?" Curiously the spirit asked.

" Sitting and waiting, simply doing nothing as the world is acting against us. To me, it seems a little bit foolish."

Entertaining her thoughts Echidna played the devil's advocate, " we don't know for sure that the kingdom is searching for us, they are just as likely to have given up, or tried to cover-up our existence entirely."

" That is exactly why I'm so confused. I feel like this is a bad idea, but what I suggest might be worse still."

Getting to the important part Echidna inquired, " Had you talked about this with him?"

"Of course not, why would I put this paradise in jeopardy because of my irrational fears."

" By no means is it irrational, or at very least, not anymore irrational than what we are doing now." With a more nurturing tone in her voice, Echidna added, " Your concerns are valid, and you raising them isn't putting anything in jeopardy." Anticipating her answer Echidna continued, " I recognize that the boy has an aversion to what you are suggesting, it is only natural seeing what he has been through, but that wouldn't excuse him for ignoring facts, and most importantly your feelings." She chuckled as she finished her speech, " Besides, Have some faith in him, even in his darkest hour he still took your thoughts into account. So why wouldn't he now?"

" I suppose you are right Echidna", Anastasia turned around so she could hug the spirit, while doing so she added. " You are the best."

" As long as you are happy Ana, that is the only thing that matters to me."

Echidna stood firm with her words, just like a maternal figure should. Yes, a maternal figure, that is the closest way to describe her relationship with the pair. While she herself was also guilty of initially abandoning them, the pair no longer cares for that. Echidna is there to offer them guidance whenever they were in doubt, in addition to literally keeping them alive due to their faulty mana gates. That is how she was seen and that is how she is seen, and that is how she wants to be seen.

Although in the case of the boy, her role is more akin to a mother-in-law. That role she likewise accepts readily. How couldn't she? If the boy desires to be Ana's husband, then he must conduct himself accordingly. She is not gonna let anybody just take her surrogate daughter. No, of course not. So the boy must be scrutinized whenever the opportunity arises. After all, nobody can improve without guidance.