Chapter Thirty

"How could you?!" I demand, throwing the book at Inga's head.

Despite the fact that she was attending to a fire, her instincts kicked in, and she was able to grab the book out of the air with one hand. "I deedn't send you to my tent to snoop," Inga growled.

"I didn't!" I snapped back. "Maybe you should find a better hiding place for your personal book stash. You knew we needed this! We all did! Yet you kept it from us! Do u expect me to stay in this god forsaken place forever?!"

"Let me explain. zhere eez-" I cut Inga off.

"No need for explaining. You wanted to keep it for yourself so you could stay in control, didn't you?! You worthless communist! You wanted to remain the fucking dictator that you are!"

By this point, all attention was drawn to us, from Skai, the guards, the "doctor," all of them. No one stood up to the menacing Inga like I did, and that was quite the site to see.

"If you would have shown me this before everything would have been fine! I would have been free! I could have freed Harper! I would be gone before Brian got hurt. He could be safe right now! And I would have met with his friends, in true safety. Everything would be okay!" I was beyond angry. I was infuriated, my blood boiling.

"Bailey listen to me!" Inga demanded.

"No, from now on, I know better than to listen to arrogant, self absorbed, soviets!" That was a mistake.

Not a half of a second later, Inga's meaty hand collided with my left cheek. She struck me hard, leaving my face burning and probably red.

"Eef you vere a genuine child, you would let zhe accused defend herself." Her look was deranged almost, so much that I'm surprised she didn't hit me again.

I nodded, staring at her I'm surprise. I wasn't going to risk getting smacked again. Hell, I might have gotten smashed to the ground the second time.

"You deedn't bother to read zhe book, deed you?" Inga questioned.

"No," I replied bluntly.

"Exactly," Inga replied. "Vat eez needed to escape zhe viszla eez not easy, and not something zhat eez vanted. You vill haff a great loss."

"What is needed?..." I asked reluctantly.

"To avoid your seentence of Death Alley, someone vill go in your place."

"I'll go," I here Brian say.

I turn my head to see the very injured Brian stumbling in my direction. In horror, I rush to his side.

"Brian you can't be out of bed!" I yelled

"You're worth more than my health."

I hold him by the waist, being his crutch as he continues to make his way towards Inga. I should be leading him back to his bed, but despite his condition, he was still stronger than me, pushing forward. The only thing I could do was spot him and be there with him no matter where he goes.

"I don't care what has to be done," Brian announced. "I will go for her."

I stare at him in disbelief, tears forming in my eyes. "No, Brian," I pleaded. "You can't do that. No I won't let you."

"Zhis is vhy I heed zhe book. Too much pain for everyvone," Inga interjected. "Too many brave husbands or brothers or mothers dying for zhe ones zhey love, the heartbroken survivors multiplying."

I wiped a tear away and stared at her. "I suppose your right."

"It won't be that bad," Brian assured me. "I will pass with your blood on me, just the nick of the finger from you, and they will treat me like too people instead of one. It will be okay:"