Chapter 31: Absolute Disaster

Start from the beginning

"No pressing Mum for embarrassing Lily stories," I lecture. "Or sharing any of your own."

"No promises."

"Of course not," I sigh.

"And... Petunia and Vernon? Are they excited to see me?"

I sigh again. "Since you are affiliated with me... no, not really." I grimace. "Sorry."

"Does Vernon know...?"

"About magic? Yes."

"And?"

"He's about as thrilled about it as Petunia."

"Right," James says. "So I probably shouldn't bring up the new broom I got for Christmas or charm the centerpieces to tap-dance?"

"Maybe you should stick to transfiguring them to gold sculptures," I tease. "But no, probably not." I pause. "I just need tonight to go well. If it does, maybe Petunia won't resent me being at the wedding so much. Or at least more than she does already."

"I've got it. You can count on me, Evans, I promise." He grins. "I've already won over your parents. I'm sure I can charm your sister too."

***

"James!" Mum stands to hug James when we walk up to our table, set in the middle of a room made mostly of warm shades of wood. All the tables have white tablecloths and tapered candles flickering with firelight. Nice, Mum. You greeted my date more appropriately than I did. "We're so glad you could make it!"

"Glad to be here, Mrs. Evans," he says. "Mr. Evans, good to see you again," he says, shaking Dad's hand. I bite my lip anxiously when he turns to Petunia and Vernon. "And you two must be Petunia and Vernon. I've heard so much about you from Lily, and I'd like to offer you congratulations on your upcoming marriage," he says. "Thank you for providing a spot for me at your wedding, especially with it being so last-minute. I'm James Potter." He extends his hand.

For a second, I wonder if they'll refuse to shake it. But Petunia casts the quickest glance at Mum and reluctantly shakes James's hand. Vernon follows suit. "Thank you," Petunia says. Vernon grunts.

I sigh in relief and go to take one of the two empty seats between Dad and Vernon now that I'm sure Petunia isn't going to throw James and me out. I'm startled that before I can sit though, James pulls the chair out for me.

"Oh," I say, blinking at him. "Thank you."

"Of course," he says.

Mum catches my eye from across the table and winks as I settle into my chair and James sits too, taking the seat next to Vernon. I blush and busy myself unfolding my napkin and laying it across my lap.

Dinner goes... alright, I suppose. I mean, Petunia and Vernon could have been friendlier – like, really, any level of engaging – but James is amazing, easily drawing Mum and Dad into conversation, deferring to Petunia and Vernon, and asking more questions about the wedding than I have. Petunia answers his queries in clipped, short sentences, while Vernon mostly observes him suspiciously over bites of steak fettuccine and sips of wine.

"Oh, Lily, dear, how did your final –" Mum drops her voice to a whisper. "Transfiguration paper go?"

"Mum!" Petunia scolds, darting her eyes around at the other dinner guests, but they're all seated more than an adequate distance away to ignore our conversation. "Can't you leave that kind of conversation for in private? Lily's grades aren't so important we need to talk about them over dinner where anyone can hear."

James watches Petunia with narrowed eyes, then turns to my mum. "Lily got an O," he says, like Petunia didn't say anything.

"An O?" Mum says, delighted.