4. The First Wedding

Start from the beginning

At every angle, the cameras sat within her peripheral vision but didn't block the audience's view; she pretended they were just part of the background.

The minister gestured them forward, and her groom held his arm out to Alice, and she handed her bouquet to her maid of honor. Then, instead of linking her arm into his, she grabbed his hand. The couple's gaze locked with every word spoken, and they only broke eye contact as required to respond to the minister.

"Let us have our introductions," the minister said to them. "Alice, meet Jasper."

He squeezed her fingers, and she observed how his hand had been warm instead of clammy and cold. Yes. Instant connection. He wasn't nervous, or at least not anymore once they'd finally met.

"Jasper, would you like to say a few words to your bride?"

"I don't have anything prepared," he said, "but until I saw your face just now, I just knew, that wow, the show did good." He grinned, and she giggled. "Alice, I've waited a very long time to meet you, and I'm so grateful you took the chance to be here. If you'll have me, I believe we will have a great story to tell our grandchildren."

The smile had never left Alice's lips, and her stomach fluttered with butterflies and all sorts of airy sensations. "Jasper, I've waited my entire life to meet you, and I just know - I feel this is right. I can't wait to spend the rest of our lives getting to know each other."

She didn't remember the rest of what was spoken as she kept her gaze on him, hungrily devouring every detail- how he stood a good 6 or so inches taller, his posture very straight. His form fitted his white tux so nicely, she couldn't wait to inspect it further. Handsome as a devil, he had eyes that twinkled when he met hers. And the waves of blond that she couldn't wait to run her fingers through.... Then at last...

"By the power invested in me and the state of California and all of us here from Meet Ya at the Altar, I pronounce you man and wife. Jasper, you may kiss your bride."

He held both her hands now, and to Alice's amazement, a square diamond now graced the finger that had been forever naked.

This was really happening. Kiss your bride, Jasper. Kiss me.

He hesitated, and she imagined that the pressure of the audience cheering and the cameras seeming to zoom closer robbed them of the intimacy that a regular couple would have...and also that they'd barely spoken to each other and were already jumping right into a kiss. Their first kiss. The kiss that would consummate the ceremony...and the contract.

Pretending that the world wouldn't be watching and judging them later, she leaned in and that's all it took. He met her more than halfway. His kiss was gentle and unassuming but she hugged him closer to her. Shy. He was shy. Maybe not inexperienced but definitely reserved. She supposed it was easy to know why. This whole being married at first sight would rattle anyone's nerves. She breathed into the kiss, tasting the wintergreen on his breath as his lips parted slightly, and he gave in to her kiss, at which she engaged enthusiastically with her tongue.

Yes. The feel of him, the desire at which blossomed with this new contact thrilled her, sent her spiraling.

Yes. To the producers of Meet Ya at the Altar and all the experts. You did good.

____________________________________________________________

"In the short time you've been here, Jasper, I've never seen you smile so much. How do you feel?"

Seemed like a silly question for the producer to ask when clearly he couldn't remove the grin from his lips. "I feel good," he said, nodding. Jasper actually thought about jumping off this uncomfortable stool with the floral arrangement on each side and the fake scenery in the background and doing a little dance.