A Snake In The Grass

Comincia dall'inizio

"I love you. You're a terrific father. I never should've questioned that. It's just that when no one could reach you, I assumed the worst. And when I woke up reborn, you were by my side. I wanted nothing more than for you to be in Italy, getting our child back."

"Carlisle convinced me to stay with you, and so did Evie." Emmett says.

"Evie... I know this isn't her fault, but why didn't she tell us about Jack?" I ask, mostly to myself.

"She couldn't have known that he would go running to the Volturi. I mean, that guy seemed like he was totally against our kind. It doesn't make sense." Emmett says as if he is speaking to himself now.

"None of this makes sense..."

I'm interrupted by Carlisle's three-door car and Victoria's vehicle pulling into the hanger. He steps out of the vehicle, flashing a look in my direction to see if I'm still angry. He sees the fury in my eyes and quickly looks away as he greets the pilot. They exchange pleasantries, and the pilot mumbles his apologies for making us wait. The pilot quickly glances at me and then at Carlisle's damaged car with fear in his eyes.

"Please, that's not necessary. I made a mistake, she's angry with me. You're at no fault. Are we ready to board?" Carlisle asks.

"Yes, she's running and ready to go." The pilot responds, slapping the underside of the jet.

We all pile into the jet and then begin our thirteen hour flight to Italy.

_________________________________________________________

Bella's POV:

Getting used to being an immortal is... hard. I may be stronger and practically invincible now, but every aspect of myself has changed. I perceive things differently. Time, for instance, moves slower. Or everything around me moves slower, and it feels as though time has come to a stand still. Watching humans go about their daily lives is like watching them move in slow motion. I watch people spill out of the airport as we are making our exit as well. They have no boundaries for personal space. They brush against each other as they slowly make their way out of the door in an unorganized line. As I think about that for a moment, a human child bumps into me. I glance down to see him staring up at me, dazed. He stares for a moment, and then his frightened face lights up into a smile.

"Sowwy" He says in his baby like voice. He was likely no older than three.

I nod at him and he turns to his parents who look apologetically at me. I flash a quick smile and wave it off. They begin to smile but then exchange a concerned look. I notice they are not looking at me, but beside me. I turn to see Rosalie staring at the child with a forlorn look in her crimson red eyes. I nudge into her with my shoulder, and a look of pure anger spreads across her face. She then looks up at me with shock as though she had just forgotten where she was.

"Rose, your eyes!" I whisper just loud enough for her to hear.

"I love your contacts." The mother of the young boy says before Rosalie can say anything.

"Thank you, I honestly forgot I was wearing them." Rosalie responds quickly.

Before the conversation continues any further, a group of people push into us from behind, guiding us out the door.

"That was a close one. Where are your sunglasses?" I ask Rose.

"I accidentally left them on the plane." She responds.

It was dark out anyways so the few people who did notice us would still be weirded out by an entire group of people wearing sunglasses at night.

"Over here." A man shouts in our direction. A beautiful blonde woman standing with a group of her own waves at our group from about fifty feet away. Their posture confirmed my suspicions that they were all vampires. Well, that, and the lack of heart beats. A quick guess could estimate about fifteen people standing in her group. Quite a few of them looked uncomfortable being around so many humans, and their eyes all ranged in different colors. Some had yellow eyes, some had red, and a few of them had black eyes.