He regretted leaving her outside her parent's home, not supporting her from the start of their marriage to pursue her passion for studying law, and not throwing out Haya in front of his wife when she found them in an inappropriate position. He wanted to rewind the time and go back to the night of Mariam's Rukhsati and hold his wife in his arms once again...

Murtasim looked at the sky as tears fell from his eyes. It looked like that he was asking the Almighty to help him in any way possible. To reunite him with his beloved wife or take his life if they were not meant to be together. He was tired to his bone. Initially, when Meerab had left and he was searching for her like a crazy person, Haya had listened to him talking to Saba about Rohail's whereabouts. He had not doubted his wife. He was sure that Meerab had not eloped with him. He had promised himself to never doubt Meerab after she had climbed on the wall of their rooftop and was ready to jump to prove her innocence. He just wanted to clear his doubts that Meerab might be in some danger. 

After he had sent his salam to Rohail and Meerab had left the house, he had thought that if Meerab had approached Rohail for help when Saba was away in London, he might have harmed his wife to show his anger. But his cousin had only listened to the word Rohail and had tried poisoning Maa Begum's brain that she had eloped with him.

 Maa Saab tried to stop Murtasim's quest for Meerab and forget about her but he had looked his mother in the eyes and that was enough for her to know that this was not her son who listened to everything his mother had to say. They wanted to know why she left the house but he had refrained from saying anything related to the antics pulled by his witch of a cousin. He also wanted to know why she left him but he had kept this to himself and told everyone that this was his and his biwi's personal matter and she would return one day.

 He knew that Meerab was hurt and doubted him after seeing him with Haya but he thought that the matter would not escalate to such a level and resolve on its own as it had in the past when Meerab had seen Haya and Murtasim in the village. But he was wrong!

His thoughts drifted back to Marium's rukhsati night. He had closed the door in anger but as soon as he approached her, his anger washed away after seeing Meerab trembling. His Meerab was afraid of him. For the first time, Murtasim had seen fear in her eyes. This was not his Meerab. She was stubborn, irritating, and strong-willed. He had never seen fear in her eyes in the five months of their marriage not even when she had been abandoned by her parents. He was her Muhafiz, she should not fear him. The next instant he had stepped closer and taken her in a bone-crushing hug. He sobbed on her shoulder and told her "Mera yakeen karo Meerab, maine nahi bulaya use yahan, mughe laga tum ho, please mera yakeen karo". He thought she would never trust him, but she hugged him back with the same intensity and his name left her lips like a whimper "Murtasim".

She cried in his arms. They both were extremely vulnerable and emotionally disturbed. Sexual frustration that was pent up from the last five months also took a toll on them and they consummated their marriage willingly. She had not resisted his touch. He had left her that night thinking that he overstepped a line and should have waited until circumstances were better. He did not think of abandoning her for a second. 

He had spent all night by the river thinking of ways to face Meerab again and start their marriage over again. The next day he came home in the early hours of the morning to ask his wife for forgiveness and to start their life from scratch but when he came back to his room, she was gone...

Gone from his house...

Gone from his life...

He had searched for her, but she had left no trace behind. It was as if she did not want to be found. Waqas Chacha passed away and Anila Chachi cut all ties with them. Anwar Khan had confined himself to his portion of the Khan Haveli. His health had deteriorated over time and his only will was to see Meerab safe in front of his eyes before he died. Murtasim had abandoned his duties as a feudal lord for several months and his right-hand man Bakhtu had stepped into his shoes to fulfill his duties.

Two years later, here he was carrying on with his life. He had a monotonous routine. He would leave the house early in the morning and fulfill his duties but deliberately return home late. Truth be told, he was still not able to accept that Meerab was no longer in their home. Khan Haveli didn't feel like home. His room no longer provided him with the comfort that it used to. Every corner had their memories, and they were imprinted in his mind. He hated all these comforts thinking that his Meerab had left this house empty-handed...

Meerab had not taken a dime with her. She was richer than Murtasim Khan himself as she inherited everything from Anwar Khan and Waqas Ahmed. She was his wife so what was his was also hers, yet she was out there somewhere struggling with life.

"Malik", Baktu called from behind, 

"Maa begum ka phone aya tha, app ko yad kar rahi hain"

A broken smile escaped his lips

"Or vo jisse hum yad kar rahe hain uska kya? 

Vo jo hamare dil or dimagh main hai...

 Chalo phir Bakhtu, dil ke dard par chaadar dal kar duniyadari nibhate hain...baap ka gaddi sambhalte hain, sab farz nibhate hain...mohabbat jae bhar main."

He got up and descended from the rock moving towards his car...

He knew that he had a long and exhausting night ahead of him which would pass like every day... Thinking of his Meerab.