"We're making chili," I tell her. "Is Elias still sleeping?"

"Thankfully," she replies, taking a seat on a barstool by the island. "Ethan's passed out too. And you guys didn't have to make dinner. You've been here for two days already. I feel shitty for making you both do so much."

"You aren't making us do anything," Mom reassures her. "We're here to make your lives easier. It's the least we can do."

"Agreed," I say. "You were a lifesaver when Izzy was born."

Maya rolls her eyes, but her lips tug into a grin. "Thanks. By the way, how's Cameron dealing with Iz all by himself?"

"He's not all by himself," I correct. "He's—"

"Oh, I forgot," Maya drawls. "He has the super hot young nanny to watch her."

My mother lifts both of her brows. "You failed to mention she was attractive, Maddie."

"What does her appearance matter?" I'm getting more frustrated by the second, pausing on chopping the jalapeno to cross my arms over my chest. "She can't help the fact that she's beautiful. Her reviews are stellar. And besides, you know Cameron wouldn't be unfaithful."

Maya leans forward to rest her elbows on the island. "All I'm saying is you left your husband alone for four days with a woman you hardly know just to be my personal housemaid. You're too kind, Maddie. You always have been. I'm just merely suggesting you should be cautious. That's all."

I am not too kind. Okay, well...maybe I am. It's the reason I forgave Cameron in the first place all those years ago. It's the reason I decided to give Katie a chance when we first met because I couldn't possibly believe someone was capable of being that cruel. And now, what if I'm doing the same? What if Nina came on board to watch Izzy with the intention of trying to seduce my husband?

If I've learned anything since being thrust into fame recently, it's that anyone will do anything for a story. My husband is one of the most sought-after men in the country, and I left him alone with a young, hot, nanny for a few days alone.

"Oh my god," I groan. "Am I an idiot?"

My mother sets the measuring cup down on the counter and wraps an arm around my shoulder. "You're not an idiot, honey. Cameron loves you too much to do anything stupid. However, I think Maya is right about being cautious. When you get home, keep an eye out. Make sure nothing is off."

I nod, returning to chopping the jalapeno on the cutting board when Maya adds, "I'm not pregnant anymore. I'll knock that bitch into next week. Just say the word."

I laugh. "I have no doubts about that, but let's keep you close to your newborn child for now, alright? There's no need to go off on any missions for me as of yet." Because Katie is still out there with leverage over my head, and if we don't find anything on her soon, everything I've worked so hard for will fall out from under me, and I might have to actually resort to calling Maya for backup.

As if the universe is trying to help me out, my phone starts to ring on the counter beside me. A video call from Cam. It's almost embarrassing how fast the knife clatters to the cutting board for me to answer it. "Hey," I say, attempting to hide how desperate I've become. "What's up?"

Cameron shrugs, shifting into a different position on our bed. He's at the new house, and my heart flutters at the thought of spending our first night together there. I can't wait. "Nothing much. Just put Izzy to bed."

"Cam," I whine. "You were supposed to call so I could say goodnight to her."

"Fuck," he admits. "I'm sorry."

"Hi, honey!" Mom shouts, sticking her hand into the camera to wave. "Hope you're doing well. We miss you."

Cam lets out a heavier sigh than usual. "Trust me, I wish I was there too. How are Ethan and Maya doing? How's Elias?"

"We're fine!" Maya calls from across the island. In seconds, a newborn cry echoes from upstairs, and Maya groans, holding her face in her hands. "Dammit! Why am I so loud? I'll be back. Ethan needs to sleep. He was on shift the last time."

Cam smiles, but it's a sad one. A smile that tells me he's disappointed he didn't get to experience this stage with me.

"How are things there?" I ask to try and change the subject. "How's Nina? Is she settling in okay?"

Subtle, my inner conscious chides snarkily.

A long, awkward pause falls over the phone. I'm praying the internet went out, but...nope. His long eyelashes are fluttering from his blinking, his chest rising and falling with his breathing. Definitely not frozen. "What?" I ask, my pulse sky-rocketing to an alarming rate. "Did something happen?"

He clears his throat, shifting an arm behind his head. "Can you go somewhere you're alone? I don't..." He sighs. "I don't want to discuss this with everyone around."