Chapter 2 - Suffocation

***
His memory did not deceive him. It was very dark in his small dungeon cell. No light, no nothing. Cold ground. The loneliness made one think. But instead of philosophy, Nicodemus has begun to think that he’s not alone here. But, of course, it’s not real, a childlike fear. One could argue that his mind’s eye had power now that his sight was useless. In the dark he saw swirling, demonic things with long claws, in shapelessness yet definition, threatening his soul. Pressing his back against his cell wall, he felt a bit safer. If he could see, he could rationalize. He was almost certain that there was something there, something odorless, black as the shadows around him, and silent. The danger was never more, yet adrenaline and fear swelled like sirens. There’s nothing there. But there is. The presence now was closer than ever, it must be right here! And now he can’t move a muscle, because of an infantile fear of the dark. Coward.
Before Nico could emotionally degrade himself any longer, a door opened, light spilling into the room, making Nico’s eyes burn, but the pain came welcome. He took a confused look around the room. There’s nothing here. A priest looked condescendingly down at him, curled up in a corner on the stone floor. Suddenly, almost like a flame, an image of the judge and his fitting judgemental expression flashed in his mind. ‘Oh,’ Nico thought, a sense of cold dread filled him as the fear went quiet, silence becoming a herald of the light.
“There is someone who wants to see you.” the priest said.
“Who?” Nico demanded.
“Dr. Saverio De Niro. He said he may be able to help you.”
Help. That seemed nice.  What if it was a trap, and they exorcized him again? The man's name sounded not from this area, but where? Hopefully, his heresy had not permeated throughout the entirety of Italy.
“Come along, Toscani.” Nico obeyed, and after stumbling out of the dungeon, true, unadulterated daylight spilled out, the burning in his retinas yet even more welcome than torchlight. Missed far too much. As they began to walk slowly down the hall, he realized that it was much less likely to be a trap. Nico hasn’t been down this hall before. The priest opened the left door and revealed a man dressed in a black leather coat, gloves, and a very birdlike leather mask. Black hair poked out from his top hat slightly, and Nico realized he was a doctor. He had seen those doctors before he was convicted. They were frightening. And mostly fake.
“You are Nico, yes?” The doctor asked, muffled slightly by his mask.
“Yes. Who are you?” Nico demanded once more.
“I am Dr. Saverio De Niro. I am here to talk with you. Just a little chat, I promise.”
“Sure you will, Doctor.” Nico drawled sarcastically as De Niro sat down and gestured to a chair. He sat down across from the doctor, afraid of the ‘conversation’ that would ensue.
“Ah, yes, my apologies, Mr. Toscani. That was a tad cliche, no?” Saverio stated.
“Why are you here?” Nicodemus asked bluntly. He won’t be swayed or tricked. “Reverend, may I speak to your patient in privacy?” The doctor requested. Nico studied the shine of the leather on his mask and the faint outline of an eye from inside the goggles. An intoxicating peppermint smell radiated from him.
“Yes, sir. Tell me when you’re ready.”
Nico heard the door shut, but he was still transfixed on this Saverio De Niro. Nico was utterly confused as the doctor removed his top hat and mask, revealing a kind yet sharp face, tousled ravenish hair that flowed in ringlets to his shoulders, and trained yet somehow soft blue eyes that made one feel safe. A false sense of security?
“So, Nico, how was your day? Or would you rather not talk about it?” Saverio questioned.
“There’s nothing to talk about,” Nico spat.
“Okay, fair enough. But I do have one question, Toscani,” the doctor continued, “how long have you been here?”
The question was sudden and almost shattering. How long had he been in those dungeons? When was he convicted?
“August 9th, 1346,” he said quietly. “That’s when I was convicted. I don’t remember anything else.”
“August 9th?” Saverio repeated with a look of ghastly horror. “It’s October 19th.”
“What?” It can’t be!  “Two months? I’ve been stuck here for two months?”
“I’m sorry,” The doctor quickly apologized.
“No point in apologizing, just tell me what you’re here for.” Nico sighed, listless.
“The Church was wondering if I could take you in as my apprentice. They won’t allow you to live alone for a bit, they consider you insane.” Saverio stated.
“I’m not!” Nico said bluntly. “I don’t need to be fixed by the likes of you!” Who do these idiot exorcists think he is? He’s not insane, just unwilling to hide his opinions!
“Exactly. I am a doctor of science, Nico,” De Niro said, lowering his voice to a secretive mutter that Nico hoped couldn’t get through the door. “They do not know it, but I have seen a natural phenomenon called microorganisms, and I have never believed in humorism. It’s all—”
“Nonsense.” Nico finished. His head is whirling at a million miles per hour. Would now be a good time to get hopes up?
“Exactly. Now, I could help you escape. Under my practice, I could teach you how to heal the right way.”
Nico thought. And thought. It sounded like a dream come true. He no longer had to protest, he could heal. But, who says someone like Nico could even manage to hold a scalpel?
“No, Mr. De Niro. You deserve an apprentice with a clean record and a stable mind, sir.” he finally decided.
“Please, Nicodemus. I see the genius in your eyes. We doctors need bold successors like you.” Saverio was quiet for a moment, seemingly processing the situation. “Anything you need to know or need to say, I will listen.”
Nico thought once more, stifling the sparks and flutters in his chest that fought to get out. He’d been here for two months, should he suffer here longer?
“You’ll help me?” Nico asked.
“Yes,” was his reply.
“Then I guess I have no choice, sir.” he smiled. A genuine, happy smile. When did he last do that?
“I suppose I should then inform them that you will be leaving for Florence with me?” Saverio proclaimed, in a much more professional tone.
“Florence?” Nico asked, utterly dumbfounded. He never suspected that he hailed from such a beautiful city.
“Yes, Florence. Work is erm— plentiful there,” he said, with a twinge of anxiety. Had Florence been overrun with pestilence?
No matter. Nico tapped the tips of his fingers together and took a breath to remind himself that he’d be leaving. No matter where he’ll go, it’s better than here.
“Then we both have work to do, no?”