Chapter 1 - Introduction

Mulai dari awal

You zoomed in on the screen once more, checking the surrounding of the map to match them to what you saw. You were in the right place from the look of it, and you could definitely recognize the street ahead of you. You were getting closer to home. After this incredibly long alleyway, there would only be one left.

You looked back down at your phone to turn it off, still quietly humming to yourself. Suddenly, the streetlight flickered. Then it turned off. You looked up as you were engulfed in darkness, with nothing but the stars to light your way. You felt your heartbeat quicken.

Thump. Thump. Thump.

"Shhh, its okay. I'm fine. Its just a problem with the current, this happens all the time" you said under your breath, trying to calm yourself as you continued to walk. You took a few deep breaths, shoving your phone into your pocket as you walked. And then...you felt it.

Someone was watching you.

You snapped your head back, eyes darting from side to side as that eery feeling prompted goosebumps to prickle your skin. Your eyes squinted slightly to adjust to the darkness a little better, a drop of nervous sweat tickling your right brow. You couldn't see anyone.

For a second, you could've sworn you'd seen two large eyes peering at you from behind the trashcan, but when you blinked and squinted, they'd disappeared. Okay. This was getting creepy.

You decided to keep on going. After all, it would be safer to keep moving than to just stand there in the middle of the alley. You walked a little quicker this time, that same heart-dropping feeling still embedded in the pits of your stomach, the fear of being murdered, kidnapped, or worse overwhelming you. And then...you heard it.

Quiet footsteps approaching you, getting faster and faster, the patting just barely drowned out by the sound of the street ahead of you. You turned around, but were too late.

Two large hands came out from behind you and covered your mouth in some kind of cloth, forcing you to inhale through the fabric as you struggled against the person grabbing onto you. Instinctively, you elbowed them in the ribs, eliciting a loud groan from their lips. As they stumbled back, you pulled the cloth off your face and tried to throw a punch at the person. But to your horror, you felt your body growing heavy, your eyelids drooping and the next thing you knew, you were sitting on the floor, fighting to stay awake.

Chloroform. I thought that only happened in the movies...

You helplessly watched as the man approached your struggling body, holding his side where you'd elbowed him, a malicious glint in his eyes. Your eyes darted down to his other hand, where you could see a gleam of metal protruding from his fist. A knife.

No no no no NO!

The word filled your mind as you groaned softly, trying to stand up, trying to crawl away, your back pressed up against the wall as the man quietly approached you, the knife becoming more and more visible with every single step.

No...this couldn't be the end.

Except...one moment the man was approaching you with that knife and the next...he was lying on the floor, knocked out.

Your mind couldn't process what had just happened, chest heaving as you tried to catch your breath and figure out how the man had given up so easily. And then you saw it.

A pool of blood was forming near the man's head, his body limp and the knife he'd been planning to use for God knows what on you lay at his side, no longer gleaming as brightly. His head was shiny with the substance coating his greasy hair, and you noticed a large gash across his skull. Where could it have come from??