Dad's the Word

At Lemon Drop High School, many of the students were hanging together before getting ready for the school day. One of the Mendoza girls' friends, Lily Bishop, was just being dropped off by her father.

"Okay, have a good day, honey pickle," Mr. Bishop smiled.

Lily was really embarrassed by that nickname. "Dad, please don't call me that," she hissed. Then she climbed out of the car hastily and slammed the door.

Meanwhile, another friend, Miley Patterson, was being dropped off by her mother.

"Have a nice day, dear," Mrs. Patterson said.

"Yes, Mom," Miley said. She climbed out of the car and met up with Lily. "Hi, Lily. What's new?"

"Nothing, Miley," Lily said. "I wish my parents would stop calling me embarrassing nicknames."

In no time, Mirabela and her cousins made it to Lemon Drop, and they parked their scooters in the bicycle rack.

"I gotta say, Mira, it's really nice of you to have us wear different hairstyles and different colored roses," Dulce smiled.

"Well, I figured that just because you're identical twins, it doesn't mean you have to match from head to toe," Mirabela said. "Besides, we need some way to tell you apart."

"Great point," Variel agreed.

"Hi, girls," Miley waved.

"Mirabela, the entire 10th grade is talking about your Quinceañera," Lily squealed. "It's going to be the party of the century."

"That's exactly what you said about Dulce and Variel's Christmas Quinceañera last year," Mirabela recalled.

"Sí, but who cares if yours tops ours?" Variel asked.

"Well, it certainly won't top my party," a snotty girl's voice rang out.

The girls turned to find Nancy Ambrose, the richest girl in school. She had two-toned raspberry blonde hair and lime-green eyes, and she looked an awful lot like Beth from the 2003-6 Polly Pocket specials. She was the daughter of a successful jewelry designer, and she was looking at the quintet with a smug smirk on her face.

"Hola, Nancy," Mirabela said flatly.

"So, Mirabela, everyone in the sophomore grade is talking about your birthday fiesta," Nancy said. "Oh, it's such a shame that nobody is talking about my Christmas Sweet 16 party or the new releases."

"Oh, I'm sure they will sooner or later," Mirabela said.

"Oh, they will because I've already handed out the invitations," Nancy smirked, handing Mirabela an invitation. "Mother and Daddy hired a supreme chef to cater my party."

"A supreme chef?" Lily gaped. "Wow, I wish my dad could hire a supreme chef. Too bad yours didn't hire one for your party, Mirabela."

Mirabela was rather hurt by the last part. "My dad actually did plan the party," she said. "He just can't be there because he's in the Colombian Air Force."

"Well, that's good because he won't be there to embarrass you," Lily said. Then she saw Mirabela fire an unhappy glare at her. "What?"

"Aw, that's too bad," Nancy teased. "I'm glad my daddy is around to be at my party. He's seriously a serious American Idol because he's a famous jewelry designer who designs necklaces, rings, bracelets...in fact, he even designed this necklace just for me to wear." She opened a box containing an emerald and ruby necklace.