𝟎𝟔, the auction

Start from the beginning

"You're a Shelby, like it or not." John whispered back as Polly and Tommy went back and forward about a auction and Sabini.

"Unfortunately."

"The Epsom Derby, Pol," John cut in

"Fucking fool, you are," Maggie smirked as she saw the look on her mum's face.

"The derby?!" Thomas wasn't to please with that.

"Didn't think you were supposed to say that Johnny." Maggie said, mockingly.

"That's right," Tom continued, "for the last ten years, Sabini's made it his race, if we're going to take him down might as well make it there as a symbol."

"Did you come up with this idea in a pub, by any chance?"

"By the sound of it," Maggie sighed, pushing her head into the brick.

"So when is this sale?"

"Tomorrow."

Maggie smiled, I might just sneak in with them then. She had been stuck at home all week, wallowing.

As Polly silenced Curly, John and Maggie turned hearing someone new enter. Everyone went quiet at his appearance.

"Hello Micheal." Maggie greeted him, smiling widely. He used the key.

"I thought I told you to lock that door." Polly scolded John, then to Maggie who held the other key up.

"He did. I used the key on the nail," Micheal said, "look, I've been listening. I want to go with them."

"You see?" Their mum exclaimed.

"I love horses. I could even help."

"Over my dead body," she snapped back

"It'll be alright, mum." Ohhh he played the mum card. Maggie had to hide her proud smile in John's shoulder, "I've been to loads of horse auctions with my uncle. They're very respectable. People bring their butlers."

"Yeah and their posh wives." Arthur joked.

"And their mistresses." John added.

"Let him come, Polly," Arthur tried, more serious, "we'll go there, buy a horse, come back."

"I'll drop him at the hose in Sutton before it gets dark."

"No. Fucking no." Polly said, final answer.

Maggie tried to keep a straight a face, but when she heard some sheets of paper fly of the desk behind her as her brother stormed out. Tom glared at her, a laugh threatened to leave her. Her face was turning red for resisting.

"Alright, that's it, back to work." Tom announced and everyone went on their way.

John went over to her mum, already knowing he will either fuck it up even more or he'll actually convince him. Maggie watched. John left and left her mum. They stared at each other form across the floor.

"I'll go if it'll help. I was already planning on sneaking on the truck."

Her mum scoffed, rolling her teary eyes,"how long?"