epilogue | forever

Start from the beginning

'... I always thought it would be you and Cedric.'

'Shut up.'

'What?' A teasing grin spread over Lee's face. 'All I'm saying is, if you're sick of the name lovergirl you could always try Mrs Diggory -'

Their playful banter carried them to the front garden of the Burrow, where a vibrant display of flowers lined the path, bursting with hues of purple, pink, and orange. The door was unlocked; Aimee pushed it open gently to find Fred and George seated at the kitchen table, a soft hue of golden light dancing through the curtains.

'We're going to have to put Mum under a Full Body-Bind Curse at the beginning of the ceremony, so she won't be crying all over us like at Bill's -'

Fred broke off when Lee closed the door behind them, the muffled sound capturing the attention of both the twins. There was a brief pause, the only sound the chirp of crickets rubbing their wings together outside, and then the four of them were all smiling and embracing as if they hadn't seen each other in years.

'Where's your fiancée?' Aimee asked, prompting a wide grin from Fred at the mention of Angelina.

'The girls are upstairs in Ginny's old room.' He turned to Lee and said, 'We're under strict instructions not to let any boys in there.'

Languid moonlight filtered through the windows as Aimee made her way up the stairs. She passed a few of Fred and George's older brothers on the way before gently pushing open a door to the left.

Alicia Spinnet emerged from the room in a blur of silver chiffon, a glass of champagne nestled in her hand. 'Aimee, thank God you're here - we don't know what to ... well, you'll see.'

Aimee furrowed her brow as Alicia swung open the door to let her in, revealing Angelina pacing up and down the length of the room while Katie Bell watched on with concern. She collected her braids in one hand and pinned it up with the other, absent-mindedly muttering a distracted greeting as her maid of honour approached her.

'Angie?' she said cautiously. 'Ready for your big day tomorrow?'

Angelina sighed and met her gaze. Distress was orbiting her honey irises as she slowly shook her head. 'No, I'm not,' she said.

Aimee frowned and sat down on the bed. 'What's wrong?'

'I don't know ...' Angelina sank down next to her. 'I love him, I really do, but getting married? I just ...' Velvet intensity was twisting in her eyes as she met Aimee's gaze. 'What if this was the wrong idea?'

Aimee leaned her head to one side, a surge of empathy warming her chest as she swept aside a couple of dark braids. 'Hey, none of that. This is Fred Weasley we're talking about. Who's been in love with you basically since he met you, and has never so much as looked at another girl.'

Angelina sighed, a tender vulnerability misting over her irises as she turned to Aimee and asked, 'If you were going to marry Cedric tomorrow, how would you feel?'

She paused, trying to veil the surprise that flickered over her features, then the ruby red embarrassment that promptly heated up her cheeks. 'I don't - um. I guess I've never thought ...'

Angelina shook her head. 'You're right - I'm being paranoid.' She shook her head as though trying to clear it, then met her gaze again, a rosy smile lighting up her features. 'I'm just a little nervous.'

A knock on the door resounded through the room. Angelina frowned, before shouting, 'No boys in here, remember?'

His voice came softly from the other side of the door, washing over Aimee like moonlight sparkling over ocean waves. 'I was hoping I could steal the maid of honour for just a moment?'