Nezu had stolen him from (M/N), twisted him beyond recognition and made (M/N) a present of him. Mashirao, who came to 2 when (M/N) did, told him that even with all the plotting, it was a little too easy to rescue Katsuki. He believed that if 13 hadn't made the effort, Katsuki would have been delivered to (M/N) anyway. Dropped off in an actively warring district or perhaps 13 itself. Tied with ribbons and tagged with (M/N)'s name. Programmed to murder him.

It was only now since he had been corrupted that (M/N) could fully appreciate the real Katsuki. Even more than he would've if he died. Outside of Eri, his mother, and Shoto, how many people in the world loved (M/N) unconditionally? He assumed none. Sometimes when he was alone, he took the pearl from where it lived in his pocket and tried to remember the boy with the bread, the strong arms that warded off nightmares on the train, the kisses in the arena. To make himself put a name to the thing he had lost. But what was the point? It was gone. He was gone. Whatever existed between them was gone. All that was left was (M/N)'s promise to kill Nezu. He told himself this ten times a day.

Back in 13, Katsuki's rehabilitation continued. Even though (M/N) didn't ask, Kan gave him cheerful updates on the phone like, "Good news, (M/N)! I think we've almost got him convinced you're not a mutt! Or "Today he was allowed to feed himself pudding!"

When Shota got on after, he would admit Katsuki was no better. The only dubious ray of hope had come from his sister. "Eri came up with the idea of trying to hijack him back," Shota told him. "Bring up the distorted memories of you and then give him a calming drug. We've only tried it on one memory. The tape of the two of you in the cave, when you told him that story about getting Eri the goat."

"Any improvement?" (M/N) asked.

"Well, if extreme confusion is an improvement over extreme terror, then yes," Shota said. "But I'm not sure it is. He lost the ability to speak for several hours. Went into some sort of stupor. When he came out, the only thing he asked about was the goat."

"Right," (M/N) said.

"How is it out there?" Shota asked.

"No forward motion," (M/N) told him.

"We're sending out a team to help with the mountain. Tenya and some of the others," Shota said. "You know, the brains."

When the brains were selected, (M/N) wasn't surprised to see Shoto's name on the list. He thought Tenya would bring him, not for his technological expertise, but in the hopes that he could somehow think of a way to ensnare a mountain. Originally, Shoto offered to come with (M/N) to 2, but (M/N) could see he was tearing Shoto away from his work with Tenya. He told him to sit tight and stay where he was most needed. (M/N) didn't tell him his presence would make it even more difficult to mourn Katsuki.

Shoto found him when they arrived late one afternoon. (M/N) was sitting on a log at the edge of his current village, plucking a goose. A dozen or so birds were piled at his feet. Great flocks of them had been migrating through here since he arrived, and the pickings were easy. Without a word, Shoto settled beside him and began to relieve a bird of its feathers. They were through about half when he said, "Any chance we'll get to eat these?"

"Yeah. Most go to the camp kitchen, but they expect me to give a couple to whoever I'm staying with tonight," (M/N) said. "For keeping me."

"Isn't the honour of the thing enough?" Shoto said.

"You'd think," (M/N) replied. "But word's got out that mockingjays are hazardous to your health."

They plucked in silence for a while longer. Then Shoto said, "I saw Katsuki yesterday. Through the glass."

"What'd you think?" (M/N) asked.

"Something selfish," Shoto said.

"That you don't have to be jealous of him anymore?" (M/N)'s fingers gave a yank, and a cloud of feathers floated down around them.