Part II: Chapter 28

Začít od začátku

I glanced back at the mystery box. The whistling of the kettle turned desperate. "Did she now?"

"Yep. So, I'll pick you up in an hour and a half. Don't be late!"

"Scott-"

He hung up. I threw my phone on the bed and walked back to the kitchen. I prepared my tea and left it to seep before checking the box. Putting it on the low coffee table in front of my couch, I tore the wrapping. The luxurious white box bore the name of a well-known brand. I eased the lid open and held my breath.

As expected, Hana outdid herself again. My brother's PA was nothing if not competent. And she had great taste.

I picked up the dress. It hung to the ground in folds of shimmering pale blue silk. It must've cost Scott an arm and a leg.

The dress was perfect, and I couldn't resist putting it on. My tea forgotten, I stood in front of the full length mirror between the couch and the bed, my clothes thrown over the chair next to my dining table.

The dress fit like a glove. I brushed my hand over it.

"Damn Scott," I mumbled. He must've known I wouldn't be able to resist the dress. As much as I didn't care for socializing, it would just be such a shame to leave this masterpiece to gather mold in my closet.

I ran my fingers through my hair. The short strands tickled my shoulders, wild and frizzy after a long day at work. I glanced at the clock. I had just enough time to grab a quick shower and get ready. I fired a text to Scott.

Fine. You win. You're lucky Hana has great taste.

I know. She keeps reminding me.

Then he sent a grinning emoji. I smiled. My brother was such an idiot. I loved him.

*** **** ***

Scott scanned me from head to toe as I stepped into the driver's seat of his car. He nodded to himself. "Good enough."

"Why, thank you for the compliment," I said, dropping my clutch in his lap. "You really should find a girlfriend already. I'm not going to be your plus-one forever."

He grinned, his blue eyes sparkling with the light of a passing car. He was dressed in a black tux. His muscles filled in the suit, and the stubble on his jaw was neatly trimmed.

"It's not like you have anything better to do," he said. I glared at him, because he was right, and started the engine.

"What? You know I'm right. If I didn't drag you with me, you'll just be spending your Friday evening at home."

"Which is a perfectly good way to spend a Friday night," I said, merging into the traffic. "Where's the gala held?"

He gave me the address. Thirty minutes later, I ignored the file of cars lining for the red carpet and the photographers and drove down to the underground parking lot. Scott would get his photographs taken later.

We weren't the only ones who chose to forego the press attention. Several cars were already in the hotel's parking lot, where men and women dressed in gowns and tuxedos made their way to the elevators. I recognized several famous faces. Athletes, models, actors. It still amazed me that Scott, as well as Jason, was part of their world, too.

Scott and I made our way to the line of elevators.

"Sapph!"

I glanced over my shoulder and smiled at Jason.

He'd grown taller after high school, and he towered even over Scott. The girl next to him was tall enough to not look weird next to him. She was a model, if I remembered correctly. Her high cheekbones glimmered under the parking lot lights, and the professional makeup made me feel inadequate in the light brush of mascara and lipstick I usually wore. That was fine. I might never be as gorgeous, or as good at applying makeup, but I had other qualities. I doubt Jason's date could open up a dog's stomach and sew it back together.