☆ Chapter Forty-Two: Friendship Bracelets

Start from the beginning

"MJ," Peter said calmly, and Happy watched the boy reach out with precision to find her wrist. Lizzie didn't expect the physical contact and panicked once again. No fist went flying, but fingers flexed into a ball at her side. Peter squeezed once he had her in his hold. "Hey, it's just me. We're fine. Let's just spin. He's staring at us."

Lizzie's bottom lip turned into a deep scowl. "Is your blindfold off?"

"What? No! I promise. I can feel his eyes on us."

"Fine. Happy, you suck."

An exaggerated scoff came from the man, and Lizzie could tell he was standing to her left by the noise. Peter let go of her wrist, and the two of them started turning. Somehow, the childish action cracked Happy Hogan for the first time that afternoon, and he wished the others were around to see the toddlers-in-action. That thought didn't stay long because Happy would feel the stirring in his gut that the others couldn't be around to see the kids growing up.

Feeling incredibly stupid with herself, Lizzie made it a point to count each spin out loud (the first one, naturally, started with her middle finger). Even if she couldn't see Happy react, it made her feel better...until she got to number ten and the world still spun after she stopped. Then, she felt like shit again. "Oh, I'm gonna be sick."

Without permission, Lizzie reached up to push the blindfold over her eyes. The fabric felt more like a handkerchief or bandana, but still blocked the bright sun and any sense of surrounding. She winced as her irises adjusted and found her partner on the right, pulling the bandana down around his neck. He struggled more than her with the sudden overload of sunlight, and Lizzie's stomach dropped when he flinched away from the sky.

After a few seconds, he braved a glance at her with one eye still closed. Then he grinned. "Hey. Nice to see you."

Happy stuck his hand out to them. "Alright. Hand the phones over. Lizzie, your watch too."

"You're joking," and, "wait, what?" were said in unison as Happy waited impatiently for them to relinquish their prized electronics. Lizzie's face was now shades of green and yellow, her black eye from softball last weekend only making her glare striking now that she could see where to direct it. Happy winced at the Carter girl's stare, but remained strong with his request. Making a grabbing-motion, the man raised his brows at them both.

Lizzie grumbled as she unclasped her Apple watch from her wrist. With more force than necessary, she slammed it into his palm first. Peter quietly gave up his phone while Lizzie rooted through the pocket of her joggers to grab her own. When Happy had everything in his possession that would help them navigate an escape (or play music, Lizzie mourned), he tucked them away into his jacket. Then, he pulled something else out instead.

Peter and Lizzie both eyed the new pair of watches. Another creation of Stark's considering the similarities between the new device and the one she gave him with her Blindspot suit. That one barely survived the Homecoming accident. With more excitement than her, Peter grabbed a hold of the one with red lining the strap. The second his skin made contact, the red lit up and the screen flashed with a bright 'HELLO SPIDER-MAN'.

"That's so cool..." he mused.

Then Peter realized Lizzie hadn't moved yet. The second one was still being held up in Happy's palm. Unlike his claimed one, blue lined the other watch band. He darted his eyes between Lizzie and Happy to see a passive-aggressive staring competition happening. Right now, he couldn't tell who was winning. Finally, the teenager resolved with softening features after Happy gestured to it once more. Peter would have been jealous over how much the two got along—considering he did one thing wrong, and got shit for months about it—but he was too busy drooling over the new gadget.