Chapter 7 (Pic of Matthew)

Start from the beginning

Leia smirked at Rhea knowingly, "Do not fear, Rhea. It will be perfect tonight."

"I am not afraid," Rhea lied. Leia gave a un-lady-like snort.

"Shall we be on are way then?" Lady Hemmingway interrupted. Leia and Rhea nodded dotingly and followed Rhea's mother to the carriage that awaited them outside. Lord Hemmingway had been tending to the servants outside and upon gazing at his daughter he gave a magnificent grin.

"Oh, Rhea, my dear!" he smiled widely; Rhea blushed at the obvious approval of her father. "You look absolutely beautiful."

"Thank you, Papa." Rhea said softly. He nodded and ushered them into the carriage. During the short ride to Lady Wellington's Rhea couldn't help but have her thoughts carried away by a darkly handsome man that gazed at her, as if seeing into her soul.

Rhea shivered. She mustn't dwell on this madness! It was making her loose her wits! Rhea took the chance to look out the window for a distraction.

They were nearing the ball and Rhea felt excitement and fear mingle together and bubble forth. She couldn't believe that it was finally her debut and she was already being married off!

She sighed lightly. She looked at the blazing lights that lit up Lady Wellington' manor, she felt Leia's hand slip into hers and gave her friend a nervous smile.

When the carriage drew up to the front of the manor, the door was pulled open and Lord Hemmingway was the first to exit, after helping down the two young girls and then his wife, he gave a coin to the servant who rushed off to put the carriage away.

Rhea gripped Leia's hand tightly, feeling her nerves tingle. She looked ahead and saw Lady Margaret and her mother Lady Pommings.

"Just look at her," Leia whispered furiously to Rhea. "How dare she wear that?"

"Leave it be, Leia. We are not here to gossip." Rhea reprimanded. Leia harrumphed but nodded tersely, leaving Rhea behind, and her father and mother rushed off excitedly. Before Rhea could step through to the front gates, though, a strong arm encircled her waist and Rhea gasped.

"Do not worry, love." A familiar voice assured. Rhea breathed a sigh of relief but then caught herself. How could she easily excuse his presence?

Rhea felt her heart flutter nervously. She tried to glance at him slyly and had to strain. She caught sight of his hard, masculine features and felt some fiery liquid pool in her stomach. How could she be affected by him so?

She shivered as his arms tightened against her waist. They were quickly nearing the door and Rhea struggled to get free of Hadrian. She was grateful of the darkness of the night and focused on getting him to loosen his hold upon her.

"Leave me be, my lord." Rhea pleaded.

"Why? Are we not to be wedded?" Hadrian asked mockingly, "You should take pride, my love, that you are mine."

"I will not have my reputation tainted, Lord Vale." Rhea explained firmly. "Please, we are nearing the entrance."

Hadrian paused for a moment then let out a deep sigh, "Very well. But I believe the first dance is mine, my lady."

Rhea held back another shiver that over-powered her body. He felt her do so before he let her go and chuckled . . . he leant close to her ear and blew gently.

"You look magnificent, sweet siren. I look forward to appreciating your beauty when we are alone." Rhea didn't have to look to a mirror to see her cheeks flame and felt her cheeks flush further as she stepped into view of curious eyes.

"Lord and Lady Hemmingway . . . along with their daughter Lady Rhea Hemmingway." The announcer bellowed.

"Lord Hadrian . . . Duke of Vale." He spoke again.