1

The first thing Lisa saw when she opened her eyes was the grey ceiling tiles. Next to her was a machine – some sort of monitor – beeping. Next to it was a drip stand, which had two bags connected to her hand. She reached up and felt a bandage wrapped around her head.

Her eyes slowly swept the room. She was in the hospital.

Lisa tried to sit up but found it too difficult. She felt like she was being weighed down, every bone and muscle in her body was in between numbness and throbbing pain. She just wanted to fall back asleep; she let herself sink back to into sleep when a voice woke her.

"Oh good, Miss Manoban, you're awake. I am Dr. Rosé Park and you're at Styria General Hospital."

Lisa flinched. She slowly opened her eyes again and saw the mass of curly blonde hair belonging to the doctor standing over her. This person was keeping her from sleeping and she hated her immediately.

"Stop...talking..." Lisa groaned. Lisa didn't recognize her own voice. It was scratchy and dry. Her mouth felt like it was filled with cotton.

"Miss Manoban, it is important for you to stay lucid for a little longer, so I can-"

"No." Lisa's eyelids felt heavy, wanting desperately to fall back asleep.

The doctor looked exasperated and was (probably) about to scold her when a knock at the door interrupted them.

"Oh! Dr. Bae! This is Dr. Irene Bae, she helped perform your surgery with me earlier today."

Lisa looked towards the door and saw her. Maybe it was the painkillers she was on, doping her up, but for a half-second, the way her vision was still a little blurry and the way everything felt like it was in slow motion, Lisa swore she was an angel.

"Hi, sorry! I was just walking past and saw you were in here with the new patient. Dr. Park is being modest – I was merely observing. You're super lucky to have had Dr. Park as your surgeon, she's incredible."

She was so chipper and upbeat; not at all like the women Lisa ever found attractive. The medication was obviously doing a number on her judgment. Her skull feel like it was throbbing.

Dr. Park beamed. "Why thank you, doctor. Dr. Bae is currently covering a vacation leave for one of my colleagues. She's usually at Seoul Orthopedic Clinic, but currently splitting her time between here and there. She will be part of your recovery process."

Lisa wondered what she could do to make the blonde head – Dr. Park – stop talking or go away. Fortunately, her pocket buzzed and she looked down at her pager. "Oh dear, I've been called down to Emergency."

Lisa smiled, barely turning her lips up, but the effort to do so took a lot out of her.

"Miss Manoban, I will be back as soon as possible to update you on your procedure and recovery, but an intern may come in my place."

"If you need to go, I can take over; just let me read over her file," Dr. Bae offered. Lisa liked her. She was easy to look at.

"Thanks, Dr. Bae – here is her file. Just a warning, she's a little grumpy," Dr. Park said, the last part of the sentence using a stage whisper. That bitch.

The doctor handed the file over to Dr. Bae and left the room. Lisa slowly rolled her eyes – yeah, the blonde was annoying – but then turned her attention to Dr. Bae.

"You're...pretty..." she said weakly.

Dr. Bae tilted her head to the side, clearly amused. She went to the foot of the bed and skimmed through her file.