My Bloody Fairytale

You know, a lot of girls would be having a hell of a good time on their 16th birthday. Renting restaurants, throwing parties, or just hanging out with friends. But no, not me. Instead of celebrating my sweet sixteen like a normal, person, I'm sent up to my damp dark room while the flipping vampire king had a word with my parents. Lovely, isn't it? Worst part is that he came completely alone, right when I was about to blow out my candles. Talk about rotten timing. But seriously, when is a king alone?? Hell, especially if you’re the friggin’ vampire king! With all the vampire hunters just waiting for a chance to stake him, you think the king would be a little more careful. Apparently not. Damn! Something was terribly wrong.  Even if the vampire king had stepped into my house, why would he bother to send me away? I mean if he had something to say he wouldn’t mind me hearing it. He would care if an insignificant human heard.  If it wasn’t about me…why would he order me to go up to my room? The suspense was eating me alive. I have to know! I jumped up from my spot on the floor and tip-toed towards the door, resting my hand on the doorknob. That’s when I heard it. A feline hiss cut threw the thick layer of silence that had settled around me.  Slowly, I turned around to see a gorgeous black cat nestled on the window sill, its elegant tail twitching from side to side.

    ‘You’ll be found out’ a disembodied voice found its way to my mind. The cat’s dark eyes dug holes into mine. The warning was all I needed to sit my ass back down on a random chair in my room. The king was after all a vampire. He would sense me the second I step foot out of this room and my heart wasn’t helping much either. It was beating like a jackhammer, even I could hear it. Surely, the king would too. My nails dug deep into the wood of the chair and I tried multiple times to swallow the knot of fear in my throat. Dear god, since when was swallowing this hard?!

        ‘Smart girl.’ The voice whispered again. The cat jumped down from its spot on the window sill and padded towards me. Its eyes examined me in a curious manner. It was half way to its destination when it stopped, puffed itself up, and ran the opposite direction. It didn’t hesitate to jump out the window and scurry off.  I took that as a bad sign. Great, just great. I was going to die. Yeah, that’s it. I must have done something wrong. Ah, shit. My mind wracked through all the bad things I had done over the years, which weren’t very many. Nothing the KING would care about or get involved with anyway. So why was he here!!! I tightened my grip onto the side of my seat, edging deeper into it. Hoping I could just disappear, get away as far as possible. The sound of a doorknob clicking caught me off guard and pulled me back into reality. My heart skipped a beat as the door opened…and in walked my stricken looking mother. Relief flooded threw me but yet again was replaced with fear and confusion as I made sense of the words coming out of her mouth.

        “Katiana, the king would like to see you.” She stated. My face went blank and I swear I turned around too see if anyone else was in the room. Nope, only me. Then who in gods name was Katiana? Hell, last time I checked I was Rose. This woman has gone crazy. Wait…did the king brain wash her?? Ah, hell. Ah, shit. Ah….shut up!! I tried to calm myself down before I broke down hyperventilating. I quickly stood up and trudged out of the room, sparing one last glance towards the window. The cat was long gone but the voice still lingered. ‘Good luck child’ was all it said and it disappeared as I walked out.

        “Mom, what’s going on? Did I do something wrong? I’m sorry.” I apologized weakly, trying to keep my feet moving. She turned around from me but I still noticed the single tear streaming down her face. Oh my. I messed up, that was it. Now the flipping king was here to punish me. Did he bring the angels?? No….he came alone, thank god. No wait, that’s worse!! Ahh, I’m confusing myself!

           Mom stopped as we came to the living room and I froze. Fear overwhelmed me as my eyes found the kings. His face brightened and a smirk colored his lips. It wasn’t a bad smile, but it wasn’t a good one either. My eyes searched his face but his poker face was hard to penetrate. Me, on the other hand, I was freaking out. I already started breaking a sweat and my legs were trembling. My dad’s hands wound around my shoulders to steady and stop me from running. Aha, they know me well. I was just about ready to bolt.