Like an Old Friend

Patience was sitting, in her rocking chair. The smell of the chamomille filled the air. She was old, now, humming the tune from her youth. Her ginger long hair was shorter, and grey. Her face was still calm under the wrinkles that she admired whenever she came accross a mirror. She loved time, and the trace it left on her face was cherished everyday. She was wearing the same old sweaters in beige, white, blue... they were oversized, as getting older led to some weight loss. But there was no way she'd get rid of them, same for this eternal pink bow in her hair. It was there since eighty years, and she was eighty nine.

Hypso was already sleeping, getting older he needed more rest and wasn't as energetic as he used to be. Patience smiled. Hypso. Dear Hypso. Her dearest, her love, her family. He waited with her. Always. Waiting for the train, for the children, for night time, for death.

Death. This word resonated with her, suddenly. She felt something in her flesh, and heard a knock at the door.

The old woman got up and walked to the door. A smile on her face merged from her neutral expression, like a ray of sunshine through the clouds. In front of her a young skeleton, if skeletons really had an age at all, was standing with a sad smile. Like raindrops through the clouds. Patience's shaky voice resonated in the empty room.

''Oh hello Echo, welcome. Take a sit, please''

She led him to the living room and poured her some chamomille tea. She added some biscuits and a blanket on his knees.

''I hope that you're at ease ?''

If a skeleton could be at ease at all. Echo looked sadder and sadder.

''How are your siblings ? Oh, little Eclipse grew up to be a beautiful young woman...''

If skeletons could grow up at all.

Finally, Echo started to answer his friend. A little chat, turning into a friendly conversation, that lasted the whole night. Finally, Patience took Echo's bony hands in her fleshy ones.

''I was waiting for you my dear.''

''You are too kind Patience... It's the first time someone ever said this to me. I will hold it very close to my soul.''

Black tears were rolling up from Echo's eyes. Skeletons could cry, in fact. Everybody knew who he was. The Death Omen himself, a part of Death, destrcution of one's soul. He always came to visit people the day before their deaths, usually as a dog, or a bird. Sometimes even a feather or a feeling. Because seeing his true form was too sacry and Echo did not want to scare. He did not want people to feel bad about their death. Nobody knows why, with Patience, he knew she would not be sad, or scared, but happy to see him. Like a friend. Patience did not cry. He did. Ugly sobs. He knew death was not so bad, but he did not want this old lady to die.

''Oh dear, oh dear... You need to rest now, you're too tired. It was a pleasure to see you. I believe we will not meet again, won't we ?''

And thus, Echo disapeared.

Patience went to her room and gently kissed her husband's bony cheek. He too was a skeleton, and she knew. She knew skeletons could have an age, be at ease, grow up, cry. She made sure not to make any noise. She took a white dress, a long white dress with slight teal hues. Her favorite. She tied her hair with her ribbon, and wrote a little note.

Hypso my dearest, I have one last request. Be patient like me, and wait for him to come to you. You will be happier this way. Don't try to force it, only he knows when it is time.

I love you,

Patience

And she went, barefoot in the garden, in the litttle forest near the garden, and in the lake near the forest.

And there, at eight in the morning, the sun gently shone on the corpse of an old woman in a white dress, floating in the middle of the lake. She was beautiful and had the most serene look on her face. And in the morning, Hypso knew.

And he waited.

(@Xia-Owyru I'm posting this especially for you, cry with me :>)