Emery and Villa Prove Their European Credentials With AZ Victory

Villa had finished last season just seven points above relegation and without a European place for two years. But Emery, with four UEFA Europa League titles under his belt at Sevilla and Villarreal, has ushered them into Europe's elite competition and transformed their prospects for 2023-26.

Emery's influence has shaped every part of the club. The ethos has been overhauled and the players have improved individually, with even the most sceptical of observers agreeing on that. But the real significance is what he has achieved in terms of coaching standards.

On the morning of their match against AZ, Emery and his staff had been working through the training session ahead of kick-off. As is his custom, he was taking note of everything, including the speed at which the ball was moving around the pitch. It was 1.32 m/s, a figure that had increased since his appointment, and he wanted to ensure the team were not exposed to opponents' counterattacks.

Emery's meticulous approach to detail has been a key factor in his success so far. He has found a squad eager to learn and a group that is receptive to instruction. For example, the player he has promoted as his new left-back, Alex Moreno, is a natural ball carrier but struggled under Gerrard because of his poor positioning. To address the issue, Emery has given him one-to-one sessions with Rodri Saravia after each training session to work on transitions and the exact runs he wants his side to make.