"But he was already in love with you," Ryuko said.

"I guess so." (M/N) allowed himself a small smile.

"How are you doing with the separation?" she asked.

"Not well. I know at any moment Nezu could kill him. Especially since he warned Thirteen about the bombing. It's a terrible thing to live with," (M/N) said. "But because of what they're putting him through, I don't have any reservations anymore. About doing what it takes to destroy the Capitol. I'm finally free." (M/N) turned his gaze skyward and watched the flight of a hawk across the sky. "President Nezo once admitted to me that the Capitol was fragile. At the time, I didn't know what he meant. It was hard to see clearly because I was so afraid. Now I'm not. The Capitol's fragile because it depends on the districts for everything. Food, energy, even the Peacekeepers that police us. If they declare our freedom, the Capitol collapses. President Nezu, thanks to you, I'm officially declaring mine today."

(M/N) had been sufficient, if not dazzling. Everyone loved the bread story. But it was his message to president Nezu that got the wheels spinning in Kan's brain. He hastily called Denki and Shota over and they had a brief conversation that (M/N) could see Shota wasn't happy with. Kan seemed to win - Denki was pale but nodding his head by the end of it.

As Denki moved to take (M/N)'s seat before the camera, Shota told him, "You don't have to do this."

"Yes, I do. If it will help her." Denki balled up his rope in his hand. "I'm ready."

(M/N) didn't know what to expect. A love story about Kyoka? An account of the abuses in District 4? But Denki Kaminari took a completely different track.

"President Nezu used to... sell me... my body, that is," Denki began in a flat, removed tone. "I wasn't the only one. If a victor is considered desirable, the president gives them as a reward or allows people to buy them for an exorbitant amount of money. If you refuse, he kills someone you love. So you do it."

That explained it, then. Denki's parade of lovers in the Capitol. They were never real lovers. (M/N) wanted to interrupt the taping and beg Denki's forgiveness for every false thought he had ever had about him. But they had a job to do, and (M/N) sensed Denki's role would be far more effective than his own.

"I wasn't the only one, but I was the most popular," he said. "And perhaps the most defenceless. To make themselves feel better, my patrons would make presents of money or jewellery, but I found a much more valuable form of payment."

Secrets, (M/N) thought. That was what Denki told him his lovers paid in, only (M/N) thought the whole arrangement was by his choice.

"Secrets," Denki said. "And this is where you're going to want to stay tuned, President Nezu, because so very many of them were about you. But let's begin with some others."

Denki began to weave a tapestry so rich in detail that you can't doubt its authenticity. Tales of strange sexual appetites, betrayals of the heart, bottomless greed and bloody power plays. Drunken secrets whispered over damp pillowcases in the dead of night. Denki was someone bought and sold. A district slave. A handsome one, certainly, but in reality, harmless. Who would he tell? And who would believe him if he did? But some secrets were too delicious not to share. (M/N) didn't know the names of the people Denki named - all seemed to be prominent Capitol citizens - but he knew, from listening to the chatter of his prep team, the attention the most mild slip in judgement could draw. If a bad haircut could lead to hours of gossip, what would charges of incest, back-stabbing, blackmail and arson produce? Even as the waves of shock and recrimination rolled over the Capitol, the people there would be waiting, as (M/N) was now, to hear about the president.