"Hey! Don't splash me!"

"Let loose, Muichiro!"

"You're gonna get it now!"

A shaky, relieved sigh passed your lips before letting any tension and fright escape from you. Whispering profanities under your breath, you hopped over the puddle playfully and continued to walk.

Normally, you would've been in a bad mood. However, today, you'd received a strangely kind text from your boyfriend in the morning.

It brought you happiness to know that at least one man in your life could be trusted and loved you.

The text pulled you away from the teetering cliff between dreams and reality; you felt more real.

It was a strange revelation. This isn't a dream. I know that.

So why is it sometimes so hard to tell?

Perhaps all the wild things in your life were causing this.

I've been a jerk to Jiro, haven't I? He's cared for me this entire time... I'm a terrible person.

Jiro never did you any wrong.

"Just one trip to the convenience store!"

"No."

"Please?"

"Fine." Muichiro huffed, stepping behind you and watching the doors slide open automatically.

You trotted in eagerly, using your fingers to widen the pockets of your blazer.

That familiar worker. You grinned.

"What's with that look on your face?" Your tutor asked, scrunching his nose up.

"You still smoke," You said, "right?"

"... Yeah..." Muichiro averted his gaze. "They're expensive, though. It's a luxury."

"Watch and learn, pretty boy." You nearly cringed at your own desperate attempt to sound cool, before waltzing over to the counter.

The employee was one you'd used for your bidding several times by now. What was one more? "One pack of those, please." You pointed.

He knew you were a teenager, sixteen to be exact. "Aren't you a little too young?"

But you pushed out your bottom lip and slumped over the counter, looking up at him innocently. "I don't know what you're talking about, sir."

"You're not denying it."

"This can be our little secret." You winked. "Come on, you've let me loads of times. What's one more?"

His face seemed to grow a few shades rosier. "A-Alright now. I'll get those for you."

And a victorious smirk graced your lips.

"Even a discount?" Muichiro's eyes went as wide as saucers staring at the receipt. "You're fucking insane, Y/N. Just..."

"Hm?" A piece of rope candy dangled loosely from your mouth.

"Isn't it a bit creepy? That man must've been at least in his mid-thirties."

You knew what you were doing was wrong. But...

"It was a win-win." You elaborated. "He gets off on it, and I get free shit. Plus, now, you can do whatever the fuck you want with those overpriced rolls of paper."

He stared at you, a slight tinge of concern in his eyes before he shook his head and flicked his lighter open. "Alright, let's just begin."

As the strong musk of tobacco filled the air, you quickly scribbled down the notes intentfully. You only realized the proximity between the two of you later, before shaking it off and refocusing yourself.

"Are you sure Jiro won't mind you leaning on me like this?"

"... No? In either case, I don't really care. You're my best friend, after all."

"... Right."

... Right.

--

"So, you're telling me she got you these for free?"

Yuichiro inspected the box with one hand before tossing it back to Muichiro. "It's a good brand too. Shit, maybe you should start being a manipulative jackass more often."

"It's just until I can find a way to get back at her." Muichiro replied, catching it gingerly. "She's really fucked up. The only reason she got a discount on those was because she seduced an older guy at the convenience store."

"Bitches change." The older twin hopped off the porch chair and moved to go back inside. "I'm going to grab dinner for us, somewhere, dunno. Wanna come?"

"I'm good."

And within a few minutes, Yuichiro was gone.

Muichiro watched him disappear into the horizon, a tinge of guilt now resurfacing within him. How long has she been doing this type of stuff for?...

But, this tinge of guilt boiled over into anger. His hand moved to tightly crush the box in his grip, his teeth gritting and his jaw clenching. No matter.

She can rot in hell for all I care.

"they ignored his past pleas. the first hit landing directly on him, hard enough to nearly make him unconscious. his head spun as he felt a cool liquid rushing out from him, red staining his fingers."

a/n: it only goes downhill from here. keep in mind: y/n's behavior and current mental state WILL play a critical role in how this fic will end. i've tried to drop in loads of foreshadowing so far just to see if any of you are capable of picking up on it lmao

the storyboard for this book was finished, and im SO excited to write it lmao

* Of Mice and Men is a novells written by John Steinbeck taking place around the Dustbowl, depicting the tale of two men named George and Lennie going to work on a ranch

STAY SAFE!!! DRINK WATER, EAT FOOD, SLEEP WELL, AND TAKE CARE OF YOURSELVES!!! ILYSM 💕💕💕💕💕💕💕💕