The entire school burst out laughing much to Ron’s shame.

“Bloody bird’s a menace.” Ron said. Taking the letter of the owls’ claws Ron’s expression changed from embarrassment to horror. “Oh, no!”

“Uh-oh.” Fabian said.

“Look, everyone!” Seamus announced. “Weasley’s got himself a Howler!”

“Ooh bad luck mate.” Ryan said feeling sorry for the redhead.

“Go on, Ron. I ignored one from my gran once.” Neville said. “It was horrible.”

“That’s sort of how they work.” Ryan said. “If you leave them unopened, they blow up. Best to just get it over with.”

Ron silently agreed. He lifted the wax seal and as soon as it came off, Molly Weasley’s voice boomed from the letter.

“RONALD WEASLEY!” the red letter floated into the air and twisted and shaped itself to form a mouth. “HOW DARE YOU STEAL THAT CAR! I AM ABSOLUTLEY DISGUSTED! YOUR FATHER’S NOW FACING AN INQUIRY AT WORK, AND IT’S ENTIRELY YOUR FAULT! IF YOU PUT ANOTHER TOE OUT OF LINE, WE’LL BRING YOU STRAIGHT HOME!”

The Howler than turned to the right faced Ron’s sister. “Oh, and Ginny, dear, congratulations on making Gryffindor. Your father and I are so proud!”

Ginny lowered her head and buried her face into her arms.

The howled turned back to Ron and sputtered and twisted itself until it tore itself part into little pieces.

Everyone in the great hall was silently watching the Gryffindor table.

“Oh that is proper embarrassing.” Regulus commented.

“Well,” Hermione began, “I don’t know what you were expecting but—”

Ryan placed his hand on Hermione’s shoulder. “Let’s not kick him when he’s down, we’re better than that.”

“So…” Neville looked to the group in hopes of changing the subject, “what do we have this afternoon?”

Hermione opened one of her books and took out her class schedule. Her face suddenly brightened with a smile.

“Defense Against the Dark Arts,” said Hermione at once.

“Why,” demanded Ryan, seizing her schedule, “have you outlined all Lockhart’s lessons in little hearts?”

Hermione snatched the schedule back, blushing furiously.

After that, the scene changed to the classroom for Defense Against the Dark Arts. Harry and Ron were sitting together with Susan Bones and Hermione sitting beside them and Ryan and Neville behind them.

Lockhart entered the room with dramatic bang when the door collided with the wall.

“Let me introduce you to your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher... me!”

“Wanker!” Sirius shouted.

A young Gilderoy Lockhart in the corner looked annoyed at Sirius’ behavour.

“Ugh!” Ryan rolled his eyes.

Lockhart seemed not to have noticed Ryan’s expression as he continued. “Gilderoy Lockhart, Order of Merlin, Third Class, Honorary Member of the Dark Force Defense League, and five-times winner of Witch Weekly’s Most-Charming-Smile Award. But I don’t talk about that. I didn’t get rid of the Bandon Banshee by smiling at him.”

“I sincerely hoped not.” Euphemia said.

Lockhart beamed at the class as he stood in front of a portrait of himself who was also painting a portrait of himself. Only the girls seemed to hang onto every word and swoon. The boys on the other hand just stared at the man with a look with was a mixture of slight annoyance and skepticism.