Lonely together. - Howard Wolowitz x reader

In this AU Howard never met Bernadette, based on season six episode four.

In which; Howard gets back from space and goes to visit all of his friends only to find they're either too busy, or they've replaced him, so ends up going to a local diner where he meets an old friend who's in a similar situation.

——

I walk into a the diner near my university and take a seat at the bar next to a familiar man with a bowl cut wearing blue.

I give him a friendly smile and the waitress walks over to me. "What would you like?"

I smile and ask for a slice of cheesecake before turning to the man sitting next to me. "Hey! Your Howard Wolowitz! You went to my high school!" I look to him, remembering sitting with him in the library at lunch all throughout school.

I watch as his face lights up in the recognition and he smiles "Yes- yes I am, y/n! God I haven't seen you in ages."

"Yeah! Your an astronaut now aren't you!" I ask and he nods happily. "What are you doing here alone? You just got back from space, surely your mom would want to see you?" He buries his face in his hands as I remember how much of a mamas boy he was.

"She's with her boyfriend tonight. " he shrugs and I give him a sad smile.

"Well, what about your friends what are they doing?" I ask and he looks up sadly.

"They're busy too. But what are you doing here alone?" He says trying to change the subject and I nod.

"I just found out the thesis committee accepted my doctoral dissertation, I'm getting my PhD!" I smile proudly as the woman places my slice of cheesecake in front of me.

"Oh wow that's great y/n! I'm so proud of you! Theoretical physics right?" He says and gives me a side hug from his seat while I nod. "Why are you here alone?" He lets his arm drop and begins eating his cheesecake.

"Honestly same as you, my friends are all busy so I came here to celebrate." I give him a weak smile and he just looks at me.

"Well we can celebrate together."