xxxvi. whatever it takes

Start from the beginning

"Aster."

Natasha's voice was strained. Aster finally turned to look at her, and her expression crumpled when she saw the way the redhead was staring at her. A look of understanding, no denial at all. "He knew my dad's name. I didn't."

The disbelief melted away and was replaced with pure hurt. Aster couldn't face the reality of the decision they were about to be forced to make. Her legs shook and she slowly lowered herself down on a rock. "That's why Thanos took Gamora here," Aster murmured. "A soul for a soul."

Placing her gun back in its holster, Natasha took a step forward. A shaky breath left her lips. "Ast, If we don't get that stone, billions of people stay dead."

Swallowing hard, Aster nodded. Her eyes were on her gloves, which were slowly being coated in snow. The weight of the situation settled heavily on her shoulders. Getting back to her feet, Aster's head pounded with one thought.

Her or Natasha.

Her or Natasha.

Her or...

No or.

It had to be her.

Squaring her shoulders, Aster's chest inflated and she nodded. She met Natasha's eye, declaring, "I'll do it."

"No," Natasha immediately cut her off, holding both hands out. Itching to stop her, as if she was about to run and jump right then and there. There was a hint of desperation in her tone. "That's not happening. I'm not letting you do that."

"That's not fair," Aster immediately reiterated. "You can't pull the superiority card and expect me to be okay with it, Nat." She began to pace, delving into her own thoughts. "I saw this. When Wanda used the Mind Stone on us, I had a vision and I saw this. The stones, the dust, the cliff—"

"Aster, look at me."

Halting in her steps, Aster craned her head to the side and looked at Natasha. Her eyes began glazing over with tears.

Natasha only smiled, stepping forward until she was standing right in front of Aster. Taking the teenager's hands in her own, she said with a soft voice, "It's okay. I'm going to do this. For everyone else, and for you."

Aster shook her head incessantly. "No. I'm not going back there without you. I-I'll jump. You've already done enough for me."

Still staring at her, a tear rolled down Natasha's cheek. "I thought my life was over as soon as it had begun. Even after I escaped the Red Room and joined S.H.I.E.L.D., I never felt like I would be able to redeem myself and enjoy my life. But after I found you in that crater... I swore that I would do anything to make sure you would survive the cruel world that I knew." She breathed out a small laugh and despite her glossy eyes, her smile stayed bright. "In the end, you were the one to make my world less cruel. I'll do this, I'll stand still if it means that you can move forward. Because for the past ten years, you have been the reason I kept moving forward."

Stunned, Aster choked out, "We need more time. I wish we had more time."

"I know," Natasha soothed. Barely able to hold it together, Aster pursed her lips and closed her eyes. She felt Natasha lean her forehead against hers, and they stood like that for a moment, still holding onto each other's hands. "But you'll be okay, moya lyubov. You'll survive this." My love.

"What about Steve?"

Natasha swallowed hard. Aster could tell she was struggling to keep it under control. The knife dug deeper. "He'll understand. We agreed a long time ago that you were first priority for both of us."