011

I picked up the clothes on my bed and placed them on my dresser. I sat on my bed, thinking, who could've done this? Though Madi and I had just been in an argument, we made up. But she was laughing when I told her what had happened. But Chris and I did get into a disagreement earlier. And I didn't see him at all during school after gym, when my clothes went missing. That would explain why the clothes were already in my room before I got home. But then again, people were staring at me this morning; maybe someone somehow knew where I lived? I groaned as I leaned back on my bed. Why would anyone even do this in the first place?

I got up from my bed and walked out the front door. My legs were moving before my mind could process where I had just walked myself. I found myself standing at Chris' front door. I thought about turning around, but it would make me seem like I was planning this, which I most definitely did not. I hesitantly knocked on the door and waited. "One second!" A yell said from inside. It sounded like a girl, assuming his mom, or maybe his sister? I heard the locks on the door click before it opened. "Hey! Are you looking for one of the triplets?" A woman with short, curly hair says. "Yeah, Chris." "Okay, one second." She says before closing the door. I listen as her footsteps get farther and farther away. Since we were already in October, it was pretty chilly outside. I was freezing and standing by the door for so long that I was thinking of just leaving. Just as I was about to go back home, the door opened. "Lela?" Chris asks. "Hey." I said awkwardly. "What's up?" "Can we go for a walk? I need to talk to you." Chris looks behind him and back at me. He sighs as he steps out the door.

"So." I said awkwardly. "What did you want to see me for?" "Someone took my clothes." "What does that have to do with me?" He said with more attitude than even I have. "Chris, seriously. Just go back home if your going to continue to act like this." "Okay." He says effortlessly while walking away. "No, no! I was just kidding." I say smiling as I pull him back by his hand. Chris smiled too, but quickly hid it. This was probably the first time I've ever seen Chris smile without pulling one of his stupid jokes about me. I wanted to have a solemn conversation but it felt as if Chris didn't care. "But seriously Chris, just be honest. Was it you?" "No! I swear. There was a ton of other people there; maybe it was one of them." I nod. It could have been someone else but what were the odds? Why would someone I didn't even know take my clothes? After all, I never even did anything to anyone. "I guess its my turn to ask questions now, huh?" He says with a smile. I threw my hands in front of us, motioning for him to continue. "What are we? I know we said friends with benefits but, I don't want you seeing anyone else." "Chris, we said we'd do friends with benefits so we could continue to see other people." I say with no response. Chris continued to walk without saying a word. "Well, at least I did. I don't know why you chose to do this whole friends with benefits and not just ask me out." "Because, Lela. I don't want anything serious like that with you." He says. I immediately stopped walking. He didn't want anything serious with me? He only wanted to do relationship things? "What?" I asked out of anger and sadness. What Chris said made me more upset than angry. Why didn't he want anything further than this? "Bye, Lela." Chris said as he walked away, leaving me to stand there, dumbfounded. I slowly and embarrassedly, walked back home.

Yes, I did want to still see Chris, but I also wanted to get to know him without having a relationship. And if he wants to continue to act like a princess and be childish, maybe this whole 'friends with benefits, even if it's just kissing' wouldn't work. I opened my front door and walked up the stairs. Here I was again, in bed, still with no progress on who took my clothes. Though Chris had sworn it wasn't him, how trustworthy is he? I groaned into my pillow. I needed to get my mind off of Chris and this whole situation. I opened my curtains and began to get dressed in my gym attire. As I was putting my shoes on, my phone buzzed.

*Texting*

Chris- Don't leave your curtains open while changing; creeps might watch.

Lela- Who? Creeps like you?

Chris- Where are you going?

Lela- Isn't this only a secret meet up? Why does it matter?

Chris- Where are you going, Lela?

Lela- The gym. Don't text me. Just like you said, this isn't anything serious.

I put Chris' number on silent as I grabbed my keys. "I'm going to the gym!" I yelled to my grandma. "Okay, honey. Don't stay out too late, please!" She yelled back. I walked to my car and just sat there. My mind was flooded with thoughts. Was it Madi? Where did Chris and I stand? Will this ever go anywhere? I placed my head on my steering wheel. "Okay." I whispered to myself. I turned on the radio and pulled out of my driveway. "Oh, shit." I say parking my car next to my house. I quickly took the keys out of my car and ran up the driveway. I opened the door and grabbed my headphones from the counter next to the door. I walked down and got into my car. I drove to the gym for real this time.

*Time Skip*

I grabbed my headphones and walked into the gym. "Hello, do you have a membership?" The man asks. I nod. "Okay, what's the name?" "Lela Blackwell." I watch as he types on his computer and scrolls through names. "Okay, go ahead." He says with a smile. I put my headphones on and made my way to the treadmill. I ran mile after mile until I couldn't push myself any longer. I ran 4 miles before I got weights. Just as I was grabbing them, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I placed the weight back on the rack and took one side of my headphones off before turning around. I was met with a familiar face. It was Matt, Chris' brother. "Matt! What are you doing here?" I say, smiling. "Y'know, I'm trying to get in shape for lacrosse. I was calling your name, but I guess your music was too loud." He laughs. "Well, do you want to spot me? I haven't been here for awhile." "Yeah, sure." I grabbed the weights, and Matt helped with the next set. I screwed one side while Matt did the other. "Alright, go for it." He says. I got onto the bench and gripped the bar. "I'm nervous." I said awkwardly, laughing. "I got you; don't worry." I was only able to do three before I couldn't push it back up. "Matt, matt, matt!" I groaned. "Oh, shit! Sorry! I wasn't paying attention." "It's fine." I said out of breath. "Hey, um. I know this isn't gym-related, but are you and Chris like, a thing?" "Um, no. Why?" I was still laying on the bench, with Matt sitting next to me while still hovering above me. I stared into his eyes, waiting for a response. "Do you think we can go out sometime? Tomorrow— or whenever you want— if you want to." "Yeah, for sure. Just let me know when. Actually, what's your number?" Matt smiles. "One second." He said before handing me his phone. I typed my number in and handed him his phone back. Matt still stood above me, and though I knew it was wrong, I wanted to kiss him so badly. Matt was Chris' brother. Matt stared into my eyes. I watched as his eyes went from my eyes to my lips and back to my eyes. Intuitively, I leaned my head up, and Matt leaned down. Our lips met, and I was immediately filled with warmth and butterflies. Matt cupped my face, pulling me into the kiss even farther. He slowly pulled away, and I opened my eyes. "Um, well, yeah. Just text me. I'll see you at school." I said quickly getting up, leaving all my weights there. I walked out the sliding doors and into my car. What had I just done? Why did I kiss Matt, of all people? If Chris finds out, everything will be ruined. Not only would Chris stop talking to me, but also Matt. "Fuck, fuck, fuck." I said to myself as I wiped my face with my shirt. I came to the gym to escape my problems, but I had just created another one. Now I had to avoid Matt at all costs if I wanted to continue to see Chris.

————————————————————————
Finally updated this story.
What are you're thoughts on this chapter?

Word count: 1567
11/12/23