𝟎𝟒, long time no see

Start from the beginning

Polly stood at the table, "Will you stay for tea?" She had already made the cup and Margaret wanted to stay to. He didn't seem to hate her. Or was he hiding it? She wasn't good at hiding her hatred for someone, similar to her father, but maybe he could. Their mother could.

She nodded as the two sat at the table, "Can't stay too long, gotta get Carissa soon before her and Katie destroy Esme's will to live." Polly chuckled at her words. The two people in front of her seemed happy. She hadn't seen her mother like this in ages.

Polly Gray was really laughing and smiling. She was herself, she had her kids. Micheal and Maggie. She wondered were her baby sister was but she decided to not mention the young girl in this moment. This happy moment.

"Don't worry 'bout her, she's a good girl...sometimes." The three sat at the table.

It was quiet again. No one spoke but then Maggie felt the need to mention what was on her mind, "I remember putting you in dresses and have you model them."

"I'm glad I don't remember that," He commented, making Polly smile even more. Margaret felt herself smile too. He was home. "Who's Carissa? And Katie" He asked.

"My daughter. She's at John's with Katie, his daughter."

He grinned, as Maggie sipped her tea, "Daughter? What's she like?"

"A bit mad at times," Maggie answered, thinking about her, "she's amazing. She has whatever good traits I have and has her father's looks."

Although the question was on his mind, he didn't ask it. He didn't see a ring on her finger and he didn't want to dig deeper into the topic of Carissa's father when he didn't want her smile to disappear from her face.

Polly spoke to the two, but Maggie didn't pay attention. She sat there watching them. Polly wasn't aware of what happened in the Church and Micheal didn't remember but it still lingered in her mind.

She tried to listened in and be apart of the conversation buts he just observed. She never thought this would ever happen. That they all would be under the same roof again. And she didn't expect that if she were to see her brother again, that she would shy away.

She still felt like she betrayed him and her mother in a way. She could have protected him and ran back home with him. She should have been there.

Her thought and their conversation was interrupted but a loud laugh and loud footsteps. The front door slammed shut. She recognised that laugh from anywhere. She grinned, placed her cup down.

Whenever Carissa was around Maggie instantly felt calm and safe even though she was her mother.

The little girl ran through, not expecting to see her mum and nan, never mind a unknown visitor. Her smiled dropped as she looked over at her mum. She didn't know Micheal.

Stepping over to her, her mum spoke, "I will leave you two to catch up and talk because I promised Carissa that-"

"Shhh, you can't tell them."

"I won't," She said to her daughter before turning to her mum and brother, "I will catch up with you another time, just don't want to overwhelm ya with everything."

He nodded, "I'd like that." Micheal looked to the girl, smiling softly.

Polly watched as her daughter stood up and her smile dropped a small bit, "why don't you both stay? Can you wait?" Polly spoke quickly, standing up too.