'be there or don't'

Magsimula sa umpisa

A gentle breeze rustles through the leaves on the nearby trees, and dark, heavy clouds starts to slowly roll in. The sky slowly starts to descend into a grayish color and distant rumblings of thunder catches their ears, but neither of them move from their spot, although Guy shifts a little.

He clears his throat. "So," Adam glances at him, "Anything new with Vera?"

This time, the blonde lets out a loud huff. "Ha! You're funny."

Guy stares at his friend blankly, not getting what he just did.

Adam returns the stare, and after a moment, shakes his head with slightly wide eyes. "No. Nothing's ever new with her. It's been the same and it'll probably stay that way." He sounds annoyed.

"You never know, Banks." For the second time, Guy reels in his line with nothing on the end of it. Even the bait is gone. "Something could change if you just tried."

"I have been trying." He murmurs but it sounds more of a grumble. "I am trying."

Guy lets out a smirky huff through his nose and mumbles. "Apparently not hard enough."

Adam drifts his head towards his friend, dumbfounded. "What do you mean? I've been working my ass off trying to get her to even look at me. Trust me, she won't budge."

"Adam, if you were actually trying that hard then you'd be making out with her right now. There's been so many open opportunities for you to even just have a small conversation with her but you miss them."

The blonde was getting defensive now. His face knits in offense, "Why should I even listen to you-"

"Because I'm in a seven year relationship and you're not."

Yeah. That caught him.

He stares for a second before glancing down and returning his body towards the direction of the lake. He feels the pressure of small raindrops pelleting on his back, and sighs. "Okay... then what should I do?"

"Finally," Giving up on fishing completely, Guy sets his pole on the dock and repositions himself so he's facing Adam. "I've been waiting for you to ask."

Adam doesn't snap with something snarky back even though desperately wants to. Instead, he glances back up and carefully listens.

"You're going to invite her over for Thanksgiving."

The boy's eyebrows shoot up. "Huh?"

"You heard me."

"But..., why?"

Guy licks his lips. "I was talking with Julie yesterday and she says that Vera doesn't have any plans and for some reason she doesn't want to go home, but the academy wants everyone off the campus for the whole break."

"Yeah, but, why can't Julie just invite her over?" Adam questions.

His friend glares at him. "I am trying to help you here. Besides, Julie decided to head back to Maine. She's not staying with Connie like last year."

"Oh... but I thought she was?"

Guy huffs very loudly. "But, Adam, she's not! Stop blowing this off, you sound like a complete dumbass!"