Karlyle's tie suddenly feels so tight around his neck. He remembers the things that he and Ash Jones talked about at Primrose Hill. At lunch a week ago, when they awkwardly had sandwiches together, they set a brief deal after the meal. They will meet each other three times, until then, they won't say anything about canceling the marriage to their families.

He feels guilty when he thinks about his mother who's preparing for a marriage that would never take place. He isn't happy about marrying an Alpha, but the thought that he's messing up what his grandfather and his mother want makes him feel uncomfortable.

It seems that Jonathan's noticed that he's having something in his mind, he asks.

"Are you alright?"

"I'm fine."

"I'm talking about your marriage, Karlyle."

Karlyle stares at him. Does he know something? But what Jonathan asks is something else.

"Your partner is an Alpha, isn't it?"

His father seems to have the same thought as what Karlyle had when he first heard the news from his grandfather. His father has sharp eyes, it would be hard to pretend in front of him.

"I'm asking because I know it's not what you were expecting. You have never dated an Alpha, won't it be difficult for you to accept?"

Of course everyone will think so. But when he actually hears it in words, it doesn't feel good. To be more precise, he feels shameful. It isn't because of the fact that he has to marry an Alpha, but because the meaning of this marriage is obvious.

That Karlyle Frost is a discarded thing.

He's known it from the moment he was born, but he had no idea his grandfather would name it straight at his face. Of course, he's given a partner too good for him. The possibilities that his family will gain through his connections are incomparable to what he's achieved until now.

His mind is all mixed up. Ash Jones said they gave each other what they wanted. But who knows? If Ash changes his mind or something goes wrong afterwards, unless they are bound by a marriage, Karlyle won't be able to cause pressure on him in the future.

"If you don't like it, I'll have some words with your grandfather somehow."

Jonathan says. He must have misinterpreted Karlyle's prolonged silence. In the back of his mind, he's glad for his father's suggestion, but it's an impossible thing to do. He doesn't want to put his father in trouble, as he's still being treated with disdain by Arthur. His grandfather always says that his father is a commoner but dares to step into a noble's house.

"You don't have to, father. It's true that it's not common, but it isn't unheard of."

As he shakes his head resolutely, Jonathan laughs.

"You're right. Since there are me and Alice."

Looking at Karlyle with an apologetic expression, Jonathan speaks again carefully.

"But marriage between Alphas of the same gender is unheard of in this world."

Karlyle glances around the mansion. What Jonathan said isn't wrong. It's been a long time since he saw his father being this worried about him. Karlyle silently looks at him.

Unlike his mother, who, like him, is unable to express emotions or facial expression, his father tends to express them. Still, he doesn't see this often from his father. Then, a pointless worry crosses his mind. He wonders if his mother is worried about him like this, too.

"What does my mother think?"

"Well, Alice doesn't show anything."

As expected. How unfortunate. The fact that she doesn't express any particular intention means she has the same intentions as his grandfather. The pressure that has faded away for a moment quietly weighs on Karlyle's shoulders again.