18. peg the patriarchy. (pt.3.)

Start from the beginning

"Sorry," I apologise, putting my palm flat on the worn black material. "Can you open the window?" I ask.

His ring-adorned fingers grab the plastic handle that's yellowed from age and he spins the window down, the chilly air floods the stuffy van. The overwhelming smell of JJ which was just about all I could smell disappears into the crisp night.

JJ pushes the button of his seatbelt and undoes it, everyone looks at him, wondering if he's about to throw himself out the window – that may just be me wondering that, but I'm sure people don't know what he's doing. He leans across me and undoes mine, "Wha–"

"Swap," he pulls himself up and I slide across the seat and he sits down in my place.

I pull my seatbelt back across myself and shuffle so just a little bit of my head sticks out.

I've seen that Hereditary scene.

My eyes shut and the loose hair out of my always messy ponytail fly back. My fingers clutch the inch of the window that sticks out the door; JJ's fingers play with the hem of my shorts just the way I did, flipping it through his fingertips; the side of my jaw rests on the glass, and I just breathe.

Then, way too soon, the car slows to a halt and I come back to reality. JJ's fingers give my thick a quick squeeze and I pull my head back in and my fingers grab the handle and wind the window back up. Everyone shuffles out of the car, moonlight bathes everyone in cool light.

"Better?" He asks.

"Yeah. Thanks," I give him a smile.

His hand slides onto my back, letting me know to get out before him. When I get out of the car Sarah looks at me funny.

"Loving the look," she smirks.

I look down at my outfit. "You do the best with what you're given, and I didn't have many options."

"I gave you two options!"

"One, as we decided, was a non-option," I remind him.

He mutters something under his breath, I don't bother saying anything.

Just as we all get ready to walk toward the house that looks far creepier at night – and it really didn't look all that pleasant at midday. And I doubt she's moved the grass, and I watched Jurassic Park Two where a bunch of people get eaten in long grass. So that's going to be on my mind.

Someone pokes my bum cheek, I turn and look behind me at a smirking JJ, "We're going, you are very zoned out tonight. Not the best idea with Mrs. Murderous Crain about," he widens his eye mockingly.

I shove him away half-heartedly and roll my eyes. Muttering about him being a dickhead, he mutters something too. So much muttering.

I walk in front of him, the humid air and my anxiety mean I already feel myself sweating.

Only armed with headlights and torches no matter how hard I try and watch my footing, the unkempt grass and windy tree roots manage to trip me up. "Shit!" I shout without thought, everyone turns to look at me once I manage to get back up to my feet, a sheepish smile on my face I dust off my hands. "My bad, I don't have a torch." Pope flicks his torch down to my knees, dribbling blood, "I swear I'm doing it to kill that stupid tree." I murmur as everyone starts walking again, JJ waits for me, still standing behind me.

"You going to fight a tree, Mabel? Because I'd pay to see that." I can almost see the grin I know is spread across his face.

"Maybe if we get this gold you'll be able to buy a ticket because sadly I don't do mates rates, and it's an expensive show," I mumble as I wade through the grass, trying not to think about my stinging knees, the murderer in the house, and Velociraptors slinking through the grass and bumping my off silently.