Being Oblivious 101

🍹⛵

"So... what happened?" She asked, taking a sip of her drink— the one you created specifically for her many years ago. You groaned, elbows on the counter, eyes on the floor. It's not like you don't know the answer. You know what happened; it's really clear in your memory, but you just don't know how to phrase it. You arched your back, took a deep breath, and finally raised your face to meet her eyes for a second before looking away.

"That's something really easy to ask but fucking difficult to answer." You mumbled. Yeah, what happened? You focused your eyes on Tony on the other side of the ballroom, while he was cleaning one of the VIPs' tables with his earphones blasting some weird rap song, moving his head along with the music. You never understood how he managed to not have a headache after all the music and still have enough energy to shake his ass while cleaning. You've been working with these guys - Tony and Lucia, the girl in front of you - for almost five years now, four days a week, since you moved to Seoul right after your graduation. You spent so much time studying languages, and all of that brought you back to just be a bartender again, but in Korea, paid much more - but still a bartender.

Well, not in the last 2 months, you were... Well, in a lot of places. Lucia and you moved there five years ago, just because an old friend of your father asked you if you would like a job abroad at his new club - the Bachelor's Delight, here in town. Franco, the owner, has been the best boss you could ever wish for. Even if he knows how much you're not interested in being a bartender forever, he never leaves you to go home without telling you how amazing your job has been and how much you are good at it. 'In some way, Cherie, you are the Bachelor's Delight!'

'Cheesy and def weird' was your response every time.

"Oooou, are you zoning out again?" Lucia called you out, waving a hand in front of your face. You shuddered, straightening your back, putting the shaker away to grab the bottle of whiskey - Jack Daniel's, the honey one- and pour yourself a glass. You always had a good tolerance for alcohol, but you add in some ice cubes anyway, just to wipe away your friend's concerned face.

"Sorry, I just... I actually don't know. I mean, one moment everything was fine; we were having fun, not a problem at all, I was feeling better, and I wasn't thinking about my mother anymore and the moment later he just... he said all that shit, I was so confused, so angry, and I felt so guilty and... I needed to go away. It was so... wrong, and you know how I am- I don't want to cause trouble, ever, so I just... they booked me a flight, and I came home." You tried to collect your thoughts into some functioning sentence, but you don't think you did a good job on it.

"To be honest, I'm distraught. When you told me you were going with them, you looked fine, not a worry on your mind, like... You really didn't see that coming? Like... Something different from him? His words, his actions—I don't know, a different way to look at you?" Lucia was as puzzled as you, apparently. You left out another heavy sigh.

"I've already told you. No. It was as always. Until it wasn't." You took a sip of your whiskey while you saw Tony taking the seat next to Lucia, finally looking tired, the headphones hanging on his neck. He must have missed what you were talking about, and now he's looking at you with expectations before asking.

"Soooo, when are you going to explain why the fuck you are back here in this place forgotten by god, Betty Boop?" He said, clearly unaware. You whined again.

"She doesn't even know, that's what I'm trying to figure out," Lucia replied for you, while you resumed the shaker to give it a quick wash before preparing the usual for your friend. A Margarita, as your friend likes being the most queer person in the building, apparently. You've teased him for it since the day he asked the first time, but tonight's not the night. Too much is on your mind.