𝗲𝗽𝗶𝗹𝗼𝗴𝘂𝗲 • 𝘁𝗵𝗲 𝘄𝗲𝗲𝗸𝗲𝗻𝗱*

Start from the beginning

The twins rushed off in the direction of their father as Milan came to stand next to me at the kitchen island.

"Thanks for cleaning up." I told her, appreciating the handy work after the breakfast I just cooked. Now I just need to Kairo in his chair so I can feed him.

"Of course!" Her cheery tone made me side-eye. The possibilities of why a sixteen-year-old would clean up randomly were endless.

"What, Mimi?" I asked, figuring her unspoken chore of washing the dishes, putting them away, and sweeping — came at an expense.

Of course, in the time that we've lived together — Milan has adjusted well to being in Georgia with her sister. The biggest challenge was finding the perfect high school for her to attend along with us moving to Johns Creek during my seven-month mark. Milan has handled every mark like a trooper and to be honest — it was me, who didn't want to burden her. Living with newborns wasn't fun and toddlers aren't easy. Still, she's supportive and I tell her every chance I get that her goal isn't to see herself as a second mother or caregiver to my babies.

They have two able-bodied parents.

And Godparents.

"Well, since you're going out for the weekend...I was thinking that maybe...I could spend the weekend at Nique's house. Please?" Leaning against the counter, I played with the idea. By now Roro and Lani had pulled the attention of KD and Kota.

"Ion know Nique people like that."

"I know, but I trust her. And it's just her mom there. She's really nice and I have her number for you to call."

"And what y'all gon' be doing this weekend?"

"Um," See? That pause in conversation let me know everything I needed to know. "Not much, maybe to the mall and get our feet done since Jessy already did my nails," Smirking, I raised an eyebrow at her. Waiting for more details of their weekend plans. Because what would she be doing at Nique's house that she can't do here? Not to be an asshole, but our house was spacious and every bit of spectacular.

From a pool and jacuzzi out back with a complete grilling station. Downstairs in the basement was a theater and gaming area with a multi-screen gaming setup. Plus, Mimi had her own space that wasn't much smaller than our master bedroom. Finding a home to meet our requirements wasn't hard and I kept that in mind. Especially now, when I rather her entertain guests here than her go somewhere else.

"Okay...and, there may...be a little... razzle-dazzle, party, like a....small kickback this weekend. Very small, intimate...not anything crazy! But," Nope. "But....I promise you we're only going for a little while! And then we're going right back to Nique's house for the night. I promise, Pooh!"

"I...Ion....Ion know about that Milan." Shaking my head, I hated to deny her of those experiences because God knows I had my nights. Especially after Lynn's last prison stint during high school and my Granny wasn't her sharpest self. But? You know better, you do better. And looking back? I needed my behind whooped for the things me and Khadi snuck off to do.

Nique has proven her innocence with each visit and passing conversation. Indeed, she came from a single-parent household and after she and Mimi became friends so quickly — it felt natural to invite Nique out for girl days or lunch dates on the weekend. Even with the innocent act, I knew better.

"What's going on?" KD stepped into the kitchen, maybe the whispered denial and Milan's sudden pout gave away the moment.

"Ask him. See what he says."

"Nah...ask me what?" Ka'Dafii was serious when he said he didn't want to get invoiced in our disputes or help with my authoritative decisions.

"I wanted to go over to Nique's house this weekend while you guys were in Costa Rica. Please?" Milan said, all in one breath.