First Day of School

Comincia dall'inizio

Which would you rather be?

We get to school right as the bell rings. The boys look at me as I turn to head to the Grade 7 building, I don't get far when Pony's hand grabs my shoulder turning me around to face him "Meet me outside here, right after school. No lollygagging"

"Yes Dad," I said smirking and rolling my eyes. There is only a 2-year age gap between my 14-year-old brother and me but he acts much older for his age always trying to be in charge and stay out of trouble as I stated before the golden child.

"Later trouble maker" Two-Bit shouted as we went our separate ways. Is Two-Bit Matthews calling me a troublemaker? The 18-year-old Junior? Yeah okay. Let's get this over with.

I hate first days.

All eyes darted to me when I walked into the class. I handed Miss. Tucker my late pass which she rudely snatched out of my hand. I slipped into a chair up front. She continued on with the lesson and before you know it the lunch bell rang. Most kids already had their cliques and sat with the same friends from the previous year. I had no such luck at making friends last year so I sat at a table alone and started doodling on my hand with a black permeant marker. I was caught off guard when a girl with long black tangled hair and a shark tooth necklace hanging off her neck sat down across from me. She made eye contact with me for way too long before asking if it was okay if she sat there.

What was I supposed to say? She was already sitting there. "I don't care," I said with more attitude than I intended.

She pulled a book out from her bright yellow bag and just started reading. Ponyboy loved to read and write. He was good at school. I found it boring and a waste of time. I went back to my doodling in my zone before my thoughts were interrupted once again.

"I'm Ella.." she said looking up from her book.

Is she actually trying to start a conversation with me?

"Baylee" I said simply trying to keep my words and this conversation to a minimum.

"I'm new.."

clearly. I thought to myself.

".... just moved from some other boring little town, any good place around here for a milkshake?" Ella pressed. She didn't seem at all bashful for a new girl in an unfamiliar place.

If I'm being honest I was so tempted to get up and walk away, but I could tell she was trying to have a conversation and break the ice, plus I was told to be on my best behavior so why not try to make a friend and surprise everybody?

"The Shake Shack is pretty good lot'a Soc's hang out there though" I explained.

Her response shocked me to my core. "What's a Soc?"

I nearly spit out my milk. Ella could see my eyebrows furrow together confused by her lack of knowledge of the social classes I assumed were everywhere.

"Are you serious?" I ask. I'm not sure how long Ella has been in town but I assumed everyone knew the difference between a Soc and Greaser. Did other towns not have this rivalry?

"If ya gonna live here ya have a lot to catch up on or you are going to end up dead...Literally".

"Oh? I want to avoid death if possible...She giggled "Maybe you can show me around after school if you aren't doing anything".

I think my answer surprised even me. "Um- yeah sure- I shrugged and cleared the dryness in my throat -I just have to clear It with my brother first and make sure it's okay."

I was in the front of the school waiting for Pony at our usual meeting spot when I was almost tackled by a wired-up Two-Bit.

"How was your first day kiddo" he asked with too much energy.

I looked at Pony and Johnny who walked up slowly behind him. "Let's see I did drugs in the girl's bathroom, punched a girl for looking at me the wrong way and oh yeah don't forget sex lots 'n lots of sex". I received eye rolls and smiles from all of them before they all busted out laughing. "Did I miss the joke?" I tried to stay as serious as possible.

Just then Ella came bouncing up. "Hi Baylee" the laughter stopped and all three of them stood there confused and silent.

"Oh yeah I made a friend" I added with thick sarcasm. I grinned and Introduced Ella to my brother and his 2 loser friends before asking if I could show the new girl around town.

Pony was the least bit thrilled. Darry is strict with homework and chores and likes us to come straight home after school to make sure we get what needs to be done, done. You never know when the state will drop by.

"I dunno if that's a good idea Bay" He replied scratching the back of his head.

Chapter Notes:

If you have not noticed Baylee is a tad sarcastic, Her personality is very much like Ryan Reynolds from Deadpool meets Paris Geller from Gilmore Girls. I don't think of her as girly mainly due to the fact she is being raised and surrounded by testosterone and doesn't have a female role model since her mother passed. Needless to say, she is still a young girl and does have young girl tendencies and emotions. I tried to introduce Baylee's personality and lifestyle in this chapter but in case I didn't hit the hammer on the nail I hope this helps a little more lol.