Chapter Twenty-four - Crossing Paths

Start from the beginning

Kayleigh and Lincoln glanced at each other.

It was then that Pearle Kho laughed. The sound surprised them, but in a good way. It lightened the moment; her next comment, however, quickly brought reality down upon them.

"Ah, please excuse me. My old way of thinking often clouds what I've known to be true. Since we've met the de'Malange, we see things like time in a different way. The fact remains, you cannot change things. To do so would be exceedingly difficult. And by exceedingly, I mean near impossible."

"But changing the course of history is exactly what they are trying to do, then, isn't it?" Kayleigh asked, a smile of her own playing across her face. Lincoln stared at her and thought, as he had been doing more and more often since their entry into these strange worlds, how startlingly beautiful she was. Kayleigh continued: "Stitch may have done something wrong, something evil, but it's really the de'Malange who are trying to alter things."

Pearle moved toward Kayleigh and embraced her. Lincoln watched as Kayleigh first stood rigid in surprise, then softened and returned the hug. Pearle took a step back and stared into Kayleigh's eyes. "You are truly the one they have been speaking of, Queen of the Oaks."

First a princess, now a queen, Kayleigh thought wryly. She spoke softly:

"Royal titles aren't for me. If anything, Ka Tolerates should be Queen of the Oaks."

Still smiling, Pearle said softly, "It was Ka Tolerates who first spoke this title in reference to you, child."

"I know I'm part of an important family, but I just don't see why it's all landing on me," Kayleigh whispered.

Pearle took her hands and said in mild amusement, "I am certain these same words have been uttered by nearly every young member of a royal family. Certainly just before they are to take the throne and accept their ultimate responsibilities."

From outside, the sweet sound of a distant bell filled the afternoon with gold.

"You haven't much time left here," Pearle said, motioning for Lincoln to join them. "I shall be the one to pass the heliodex to Emil. He will know nothing of your involvement or that you were even here."

"So there's nothing we can do to save him?" Kayleigh asked, shaking her head at the craziness of just letting him move closer and closer to his own death.

Lincoln opened his pack, rummaging around for the heliodex.

"If it were possible to do what you say," Pearle spoke quickly, "Emil would never leave Kana Hove in search of us, never discover Earth, never meet your Grandmother and you, my dear Kayleigh, would never be born. There are simply too many what-ifs. The delicacy in the balance of what is now happening is beyond anything we can comprehend."

Finding the reinforced glass cylinder, Lincoln stood and held it out. Pearle accepted it, marveling at the chocolaty-brown acorns packed safely within.

"I know nothing of your spiritual beliefs, children, but what this all comes down to is faith that you are a part of something good. Something wonderful."

The bell ceased its tolling.

"Alright," Pearle spoke, even faster now, "Follow me. I will lead you safely from our city back to the valley. Ka Tolerates will speak with you again before you go."

They moved quickly, tracing a circuitous route toward the archway at the entrance of Kana Hove. Pearle pointed them down toward the crest of a hill.

"Well, then," she said, giving them each a quick embrace. "I believe I will see you again. Good luck."

With that, she turned and walked quickly back inside the walled, red city. The sun above was beginning its downward arc and a sweet-scented breeze pushed gently against them.

Taking her hand in his, and never imagining he'd ever tire of holding it, Lincoln took the first step that led them down again toward the Valley of the Oaks.

"So," Kayleigh said, trying to organize what they'd just heard in her mind, "The de'Malange are planning on some great voyage, but they need everyone (all the oaks and all the Pilgrims) in order to do it."

"But," Lincoln said, "they can't do this because both Ka Tolerates and Emil are trapped inside Truman Stitch, who has been imprisoned in some unknown location."

Kayleigh sighed. "I really wish we could just turn around and talk to my Grandfather. What Pearle said makes sense, kind of, but if anyone knows what to do, it would be him."

They walked a bit further when Lincoln said, "I wish I could talk with my parents."

Kayleigh said nothing. A sharp twinge filled her chest at the thought of her own parents. If only they could send some sort of message back to them, just to let them know both she and Lincoln were still alive. She also wondered, too, if her parents (well, her Mom at least) secretly knew anything about Emil and his origins.

They completed the expanse between the city and valley and slowed as they approached Ka Tolerates. They shuddered at the memory of running toward the oily black version of this now great tree. The sound it had made, combined with the image of coal-black branch-arms writhing in the air, were nearly impossible to forget.

Dear ones, the ancient oak spoke, her voice now sweet and without hint of malice. Again, I am sorry you carry these memories of me. It was not my true self, but a sacrifice I had to make in order that the others make their transformation.

"You don't sound very upset about what's going to happen to you," Kayleigh said, kneeling with Lincoln before the tree on a bed of moss and clover.

The sacrifices we make are neither great nor small. They are, instead, testimony to our belief in... kindness. Integrity. Honesty. I have faith that the Atoth Pilgrims will, when the time comes, join us.

"So you're going on a great journey?" Lincoln said.

The leaves of the tree before them seemed to shiver, though there was no breeze.

Yes, the de'Malange breathed. A voyage unlike any other we've already taken. A crossing and expansion of impossible magnitude. From our humble beginnings, we are close to completing the final stage of our magnum opus.

"Are we going on this journey with you?" Kayleigh asked, though at once wished she could take the question back.

Ka Tolerates paused before answering.

In the end, only one of you will make the journey with us. I cannot say more, for there are elements still in darkness. Your life on Earth has been taken from you. If it helps, then place the blame for that on me. I will not lie when I say that a greater test awaits you. Stitch must be found at all costs. Emil and I must be returned.

The sun was nearly down and the breeze, which had by then become constant, grew in strength.

Our time to sing is upon us. You will now return to our dear Mona Tarok, but first I must ask a favor. It is something you might find distasteful, if not offensive, but something, ultimately, that must be accomplished if we are to continue our journey.

Now, please pay careful attention...