Alive at night

A/n: am I writing something that appeals only to me? Yes. Night at the museum AU time!!!

Of all of the jobs you'd ever had, none of them had been this batshit insane. You'd hoped being a night guard would just be sitting around at a security desk, maybe wandering the halls, something easy to do. But you ended up running from a living T. rex skeleton, had tiny living diorama miniatures try to attack you, got chased down by a monkey and now you were sitting in the break room wondering what the fuck was going on, reading the list of rules that the old night guards gave you.

Throw the bone so the T. rex plays fetch and is distracted? Check.

Lock up the dangerous animals? Check.

Make sure you check your belt for the keys because the monkey will steal them? You did have to fight the monkey, but check.

How does any of this even happen? What the fuck kind of wizardry has bought the entire museum to life? This was not worth $11.50 and hour... Taking a moment to compose yourself, you realised that if you wanted to keep this museum in one piece you'd have to try and wrangle everyone inside. Keep the peace and make friends with those who can be reasoned with. So it was back out into the museum you went to essentially assert your dominance and finish off that list.

You walked past living statues, tiny miniatures on a mission to make it across the long hallways, taxidermy animals sniffing the surroundings. You felt like you were tripping on something wild, there was no way this could be real. The further down the hallway you got, the more you could hear what sounded like banging. Fearing something was going to break and you'd be fired on your first night, you followed the noise into the Japanese section of the museum where the walls were lined with framed scrolls and display cases of swords, pottery and figures. A torri gate was displayed at the entrance, and inside the exhibit were several now living dolls and figures of the yokai of Japanese mythology.

Careful not to step on any of them or bother them, as they seemed to be doing their own thing without causing much trouble, you went looking for the source of the banging. Having to head through a hall of torri gates and displays of samurai armour, you found yourself in a smaller room displaying mainly Shinto religious artefacts. Things like ancient shine statues and carved figures. The banging was coming from a display case that had been covered with a drape by the closing staff, likely to protect it from dust.

Hesitantly you reached out and pulled back the drape, shining your flashlight at the case. You were met with a person, or what once was just a wax figure inside. He shielded his eyes from the sudden light of your flashlight and when you moved it away from his face, took a moment to adjust to the new light he could see from the rest of the room.

You pulled the drape off, to see the full display. Inside were what looked like authentic clothes from ancient Japan. Ones that must have been discovered in a tomb or something to be this well preserved. Most of them where just hung up on the wall but one was worn by the wax figure inside. It was a shrine hakama, blue at the bottom and white at the top. The man wearing it had fluffy black hair and pale skin, somehow a wax figure managed to have eyebags, but with how real everything looked once it came to life you figured maybe it had something to do with that.

He looked at you, with his hands to the glass and gave you a pleasing look as of asking to be let out. You looked around for more context and found an information plaque in front of him.

The first mixed shine worker in recorded history.

When Shinto first became the widespread religion of Japan in the Yayoi period (300 BC) Europe hadn't established contact with the nation. For thousands of years, religious leaders and shine workers of Shinto were of Japanese decent. In 1543, Europe's first made contact with Japan, and over the years trade routes and relations were established. The first ever record of a non- fully Japanese shine worker was that of L Lawliet, decent of a French father and Japanese mother.