chapter 27 - books

Start from the beginning

"Anyways, It is special. I have invited all important royals for this banquet. This to strengthen our good relations with other kingdoms. It will bring peace at the borders." Empress dowager states in a cold voice.

Zixuan frowns a little as there is no problems at border at this moment. Everything is under control but he didn't argue. He lets his mother continue.

"I have given the responsibility of preparation to Afreen. Because her family will be at the banquet too and I don't want her family to see their daughter's distress. No only did you demoted her position but also you consort decided to cut her hair.

Thank you God that she looks wonderful even with turban on her head otherwise her family would declare war against us. Did you forget that she is one of the royals ?" Empress dowager shouts.

Yuzu stays silent. He is not in the mood to argue early in the morning. Specially not with empress dowager. She has been nasty with Yuzu since the day Yuzu stepped into this palace.

If Yuzu compares her and Zixuan's hatred towards him, then she will win without any doubt. Zixuan seems decent in front of her.

Zixuan listens to his mother's rant with a sour face "mother, Afreen's parents are dead. Her sister in law is pregnant. I don't think anyone from her family is going to come. Also even if they come she was wrong in the first place."

"I invited her cousin, Second prince of Lee kingdom - Yaad, you do remember him right ?"

"Yaad.." Yuzu mumbles the name in a low voice but empress dowager heard it.

"Yes ... Yaad. If it was not for my protest, he would have been in your place today. I just liked Afreen more back then. So, this time I also want to redeem my mistake." 

"And exactly how you want to redeem your mistake ?" Zixaun asks his mother a little louder this time.

"I will apologise, or what ? I thought back then if I stop you once, you wouldn't bring any man in the harem but look at the situation now." Empress dowager shouts "I behaved badly with that humble prince for nothing." 

Yuzu stands up from his seat "Then if there is nothing for me to do. I shall  take my leave."

Zixuan stops arguing with his mother.

Empress dowager smiles for the first time since morning "yeah ! You should take your leave. And next time, help me with one thing.. never try to help me. Mind your own business."

Yuzu nods and bows.

Zixuan grinds his teeth with rising anger "By minding the business, I remember consort Yuzu has to give punishment to concubine Jia-li, isn't it ?"

Empress dowager frowns this time.

"Why the punishment is not declared yet, consort Yuzu ? You are indeed not minding your own business." Zixuan growls.

"Jia-li is pregnant." Empress dowager glares at Zixuan.

"I know, that's why consort Yuzu suggested to give the punishment to concubine Afreen instead of Jia-li. If Afreen agrees, she can take the trouble of saving the future heir." Zixuan states calmly before walking towards consort Yuzu.

"I want to hear the punishment within one hour, there shouldn't be an exception. I don't care if it's declared to Jia-li, Afreen or anyone who wants to save the child..." Zixuan looks at his mother while saying this.

Yuzu looks at Zixuan straight in the eyes "The child is innocent."

"Then why don't you give them some good etiquette lessons to fill the innocent soul. If they are having way too much free time to arrange a banquet, then they can take the lesson. They are desperately in need of one."

Yuzu blinks. Then he nods. He can punish Jia-li this way. Reading books , learning manners will not harm the baby, it will benefit the baby instead.

"Then I shall mind my own business." Yuzu replies loud this time before turning to leave with a small bow.

Empress dowager who was trying to listen the conversation in silence, shocks. She hurriedly manages herself "yeah yeah .."

Zixaun also bows at his mother before turning to leave.

Empress dowager frowns "where are you going ?"

"Leaving. As mother said, these days I forgot to walk on my own. So I need to walk with consort Yuzu."

**

"Noble consort Yuzu ..!" Afreen and Jia-li were happily chatting when Yuzu enters Jia-li's bed chamber.

Yuzu smiles "I am here for your decision. Have you decided in between two of you , who will take the punishment ?"

"Noble consort, I would've taken the punishment on behalf of Jia-li happily but this morning empress dowager has assigned me the preparation of banquet so I don't want to disappoint her. I will be very busy." Afreen opens her mouth first.

"Then you can take half of Jia-li's punishment." Yuzu suggests.

Jia-li looks at Afreen expectantly. Afreen bites her inner cheeks "That would be insult of noble consort. I don't want to portray that I don't trust noble consort. I believe that noble consort will consider Jia-li's pregnancy and give her a punishment that she can handle on her own."

Yuzu tilts his head. "Very well then. Jia-li , all the punishment falls on you."

Jia-li looks at Yuzu's half covered face.  This bastard ! She asked his highness not to see his face and thought that will distance his highness from this bastard. But this cunning bastard has started to wear covers on daily basis.

"What is my punishment?" Jia-li asks in a rough tone.

"Simple, your punishment is that you have to change that tone." Yuzu replies "Meimei ... bring them here .."

Meimei hurriedly enters the bedchamber carrying ten thick books in her hands. She slowly places all the books in front of Jia-li.

Jia-li looks down to read the names of the books..

How to be a woman ?

Achieving humanity..

Beginner guide to positivity.

Learn to respect.

Jia-li looks up after reading the names of first four book.

Yuzu smiles "These are the books to develop our inner personality. These books are good for baby's mental growth.  You punishment is, you have to read and memorize all these books for this month. I will visit time to time to take your test.,"

Afreen smiles thinly "that's very thoughtful of you ...consort Yuzu."

Yuzu nods "How can I break your trust on me. Anyways Afreen from today onwards Jia-li will be in seclusion and study. So, you can't meet her without my permission. I am afraid the anxiety and excitement of banquet, isn't good for the baby."

Afreen smiles again with tight lips "As you order, noble consort."

Yuzu nods again and waits.

Afreen blinks.."T... then I shall .. take my leave."

"You shall." Yuzu follows Afreen with his eyes as she leaves the bedchamber of Jia-li. Then he turns at Jia-li.

"You can start from now. I am leaving too , you can study well in your privacy. Come Meimei." Yuzu turns around without waiting for Jia-li's reply.

Meimei nods but then she looks at the glare that Jia-li was throwing towards her master's back. She growls in her mind .. "master., I am not finding one important book here..you go, I will search that book."

Yuzu stops his steps "huh ?" He looks at Meimei "Which book ?"

Meimei pouts like a child "There was a very important book. It's name was How to not sleep with strangers and get pregnant like a Whore ?"

ㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁㅁ