Cheryl took the seat across from her, blocking her view. 

"I'm going to cut straight to the point." Cheryl prefaced easily, lacing her hands together primly and sitting up straight

Lu scratched idly at a mosquito bite on the inside of her wrist, as she attempted to avoid Cheryl's gaze.

"I know that your Uncle T hasn't been here in months."

Lu tensed.

"I know that John B lost his job, and has been getting into trouble he has no business getting in ever since."

Lu's nails broke skin. Johnny lost his job?

"And I know that the last thing a little girl like you with a history like yours needs is to be left alone without proper supervision or care, especially on a property in this condition," Cheryl rattled on in her stupid patient voice, and with her stupid reasonable eyes, "Not only is it illegal, it's plain unethical." 

Lu knew that. In the back of her mind she always knew that she wasn't allowed to be living the way she had.

Fishing of the jetty at midnight. Letting all the chickens out of the coop so that she could spend the next couple of hours herding them back in. Eating month old pop tarts and poorly fried mackerel for dinner every night while sitting on the roof. Perching for whole days at a time in the trees, shooting oyster shells across the water out of her sling shot. 

Lu loved her little kingdom. But how long had she honestly expected to rule it?

"What's going to happen to me?" Lu asked timidly. She absentmindedly lifted her bleeding wrist to her mouth but lowered it in embarrassment at the sneer of disgust it drew from Cheryl.

The scowl on Cheryl's face froze as she registered Lu's query. Her distaste quicky faded from her features and was replaced with a calculated blankness. 

"I believe that I should let Sheriff Peterkin discuss that with you." Cheryl chose her words carefully.

"Okay." Lu agreed hesitantly.

Sheriff Peterkin had been over just the other day. She had spoken to John B. Lu wracked her brain, attempting to recall the details of her visit.

Peterkin was concerned about Lu's couch, she was also curious about Uncle T's whereabouts. She'd said something about John B and a gun? And then she and John B spoke privately about something in the corner of the kitchen. John B had snapped at her. That's all she could remember.

It had just been another day. Oh god Lu wished she could remember something of worth. Something that would make this situation less uncomfortable and scary.

"Well," Lu mind was racing so fast that she almost didn't notice Cheryl rising from her seat, "There's no time like the present."

That caught her attention. 

"What." Lu breathed out, her eyes finally met Cheryl's. 

"Pack some clothes, and whatever personal items you believe you require-"

"I can't-" Lu attempted to interrupt. But she wasn't very well practiced at it, so her words fell upon uncaring ears. 

"Which one is your room? I can help you if you like?"

"No." Lu cried out. 

Lu couldn't recall the last time she had raised her voice at a person. It didn't make her feel as powerful as she had hoped it would. In fact she felt even weaker. 

"Pack your things Lucy." Cheryl's eyes were no longer reasonable and her tone was no longer patient, Lu shrank under her gaze.

"John B wouldn't want me to go." Lu stated, hoping her courage would hold out just a little longer. Hoping John B would burst through the doors any second and charm this awful woman all the way across to the mainland.