(( 002. )) . . . consequences

Start from the beginning

"Where's Susannah?" Her mom asked curiously with a raised brow. She had a point, Maddie realized. Usually Susannah was the first person to do the greetings.

"I'm the only one up so far. So we got a bit of peace and quiet." Laurel jokes a bit. Maddie forces an awkward smile while her mom chuckles. Then they start heading more in the house. Well, at least they are at first, until Laurel pauses and catches Maddie's arm to stop her in her tracks as well.

"If you need to talk, I'm here, you know?"

Great. Seems mom mentioned more to Laurel then she has let on.

"Thanks but I'm fine." Her tone is sharp and curt. She only really knows it comes across that way because of how the woman looks at her in response. The pity that was all over her features was now mixed with some look of defensiveness.

She pulls back from Laurel completely, and the woman seemed to be about to speak again, but she walks away too fast. Once she spots her mom again, she very quickly said, "I'm gonna go get some air."
Her mom gives her a quizzical look, before going, "Okay, but Mad-"

Too late, she was rushing out the door.

As soon as her feet are on the sand, Maddie leans back against the fence and tops her head back, before closing her eyes and taking a deep breath in through her nose. The breath out that escapes her lips stutters at best. God, she was still trying to process the mess from last night. Then her mom dumps on her that she told Laurel everything right as they were leaving? The look of pity was enough to make her want to punch something. She sure she wouldn't be able to handle the 'how are you?'s and sympathy speeches that she was sure were going to follow. She could barely take it from Laurel just now. Forget when the others learned-

Maddie tries to shake the train of thought from her head and she looked forward again, eyes open. It doesn't take much though, because she notices farther out, the back of a figure sat in the sand. Conrad, still in last night's clothes.

She pauses, then debates. After last night, she wasn't entirely sure talking to him was a good idea... but at the same time, she couldn't avoid him forever. So if he didn't want to talk to her, tough shit. He was here all summer. He would have to at some point. So she walks on over and sits herself on down next to him. He looks up and over at her, and hesitates, before he goes, "You're gonna get sand all over yourself."

"Oh, shit, seriously?" Maddie asks, feigning cluelessness, "I had no idea that sitting in sand could, in fact, get me covered in sand!"

Conrad scoffs and looks forward again, shaking his head a little. Still, Maddie can see a slightly bemused smile quirk on his lips. She may not know what the hell his deal was right now, but at least she had being able to amuse him still going for her.

"Sooo," she continues, watching him instead of the view, "are we gonna talk about last night?"
Instantly, the smile on his face drops, "What about last night?"
"You know exactly what I'm talking about, Mr. 'I remember everything when I'm drunk'."

He shoots something of a glare toward her. It does nothing to dissuade her position. So he sighs and shrugs, "I didn't know you had a boyfriend. That's all."
"That's bull," Maddie retorts, "I've been dating Lu for over a year. I know I talked about him last summer."
"I didn't think you were actually serious about him," he counters with more frustration. The excuse is a pathetic one. They both know it.