𝙞𝙭. debate 109

Start from the beginning

"My debate partner dropped out," Annie stated. "We need you to fill in for him at the championship tonight." Jeff's smile dropped instantly. Elina pursed her lips. Her eyes shifted between Annie and Jeff. "Jeffrey, as debate coach, I'm giving you an opportunity to spend a night drinking from the cup of life rather than romancing your nether regions in front of the E! channel." Professor Whitman slipped past Elina, his hand grazing her back. He offered her a smile when he noticed it was her. "Miss Perry," he greeted her politely. "Hi, Professor Whitman," she replied with a smile.

          "C'mon, Jeff. I mean, who better than a former lawyer to really stick it to those City College snobs and their star debater Simmons?" the dean asked. Jeff hummed. "Mm. Pass," he answered. Jeff turned toward Elina and nodded his head toward the hall. She assumed he was asking her to keep walking and ignore the people around them. They had been in their own conversation before they were interrupted.

          He motioned her first. She slipped past Annie and Professor Whitman with an apologetic smile. Jeff followed her close behind, ready to shake them off. But the dean wasn't having it. He hurriedly followed them, speeding up until he could stop them once more. "Listen, jerk wad," he exclaimed. He then grimaced at his choice of words. "Oh, I'm sorry, that got heated." He sighed, fixing his glasses. Elina looked to Jeff in amusement. "Greendale needs a win. The best compliment our sports program gets is that our basketball team is really gay. So, what's it gonna take? You know, a plum parking space? Free meals? A, uh.." The dean drew nearer. His voice going lower, softer. "A night of companionship, if you know what I mean?"

          Elina bit her lip to stifle her smile. Annie looked stunned by the dean's proposal. "I'll do it for the parking space," Jeff said. "And if you promise not to tell me what you mean." Elina snorted. His fingers wrapped around the blonde's wrist. He tugged her in the opposite direction, not ready to let their conversation flush down the toilet.

          "Oh, I can tell you what he meant," she reassured Jeff. Following him with a bright smile on her face. The argument between her and Britta now completely forgotten. Jeff grinned to himself. "No, thank you," he responded with a laugh. "Unless you tell me in first person. Using words like I and me, rather than he and him."

          She laughed. His fingers remained at her wrist. He could slide his hand further down her skin and hold her hand. But he won't. "In your dreams, Winger," she fired back. He nodded his head. "Indeed it is, Perry."

Elina knew that she couldn't avoid Britta forever. Especially not when they shared a friend group, and they shared a study group that never really seemed to study. She spotted her sitting at her usual spot. Her fingers pulling at a straw wrapper she had kept since lunch to help her concentrate on something other than the need for a cigarette. Silently, the youngest Perry entered the room and took her seat.

          At first, they didn't acknowledge one another. Elina pulled out her notecards for her next marketing test. A bag of Twizzlers open and stuffed in her bag. She ripped off a candy rope and held it out for Britta to take. The eldest smiled and accepted the candy. Her eyes glued on the side of her little sister's head. "Ellie?" she spoke up, much louder than she had intended to do. Elina didn't look over. She merely hummed in acknowledgment, her eyes moving over the words printed across her notecards.

          "Ellie, I'm sorry," Britta sighed. Her head tilted carefully to the side. Her eyes scanning her sister's face for any reaction at all. Anything that could tell her that she was forgiven. "I shouldn't have blown up on you the way that I did. And I know me quitting isn't an excuse, but—"

          "It isn't an excuse," Elina agreed, more firmly. She set down three of her notecards and pulled out her own Twizzler to nibble on. Britta frowned. She was apologizing, and she was being sincere. It was starting to remind her of when they were kids. The grudges Elina would hold when Britta wronged her in some way. "I know that it's a habit and quitting habits can be hard, but that doesn't give you the right to talk to me the way you did."