Bosco let herself fall against her pillows, watching as Camden moved her telescope and closed her curtains to block out most of the sunlight before she left the room. She let out a deep breath, turning over on her back and staring up at the ceiling.

The solar system she had built hung over her head and her glow in the dark star stickers were glowing dimly. There wasn't a lot that brought Bosco comfort, but those things did. She reached over to her bedside table, turning on her projector. Pictures of the stars and planets lit up the space around her, and she pressed another button to make them rotate.

Bosco curled up under her blanket that was covered in the constellations, closing her eyes. She could hear Camden walking down the hall to bring boxes and bags out to the living room. Bosco didn't like to share her emotions very much, but she was really going to miss having Camden here. She knew she wouldn't be far away and she'd be seeing her all week on campus, but it was going to suck not having her face to face.

Because even though she refused to admit it, Bosco did feel like she was being abandoned. And it did hurt a little. But she pushed it deep down and refused to show it. Showing things like that only led to more hurt.

She squeezed her eyes shut and turned over on her side, really hoping and praying that she'd be fine with a new roommate. If she could even find one. She highly doubted that anyone but Camden would voluntarily live with her. She didn't even want to live with herself most of the time.

She curled up into a tighter ball, pushing those thoughts down. Right now she really didn't want to have to stress. She just wanted to sleep and pretend that she wasn't losing her only friend.

----

Daya was usually always in a good mood. She could always find something to be happy and excited about. But tonight was not one of those times. Tonight, she was really upset and really stressed.

This was Daya's freshman year of college, and her first semester was already off to a rough start. It wasn't the classes, surprisingly. It was her dorm situation.

Her roommate wasn't horrible. Daya didn't hate her. She just hated having to be kicked out of her dorm almost every night because her roommate insisted on having her boyfriend there every single night. It made Daya feel like she didn't have her own space, and that was hard for her. Her room back at home was always her safe space, and now she didn't really have one.

Daya sniffled quietly as she walked down the hall of her dorm building, bag holding her textbook and laptop clutched tightly in her arms. She had so much to study. And now she couldn't even do that in her own room. And at this time, the student center and cafe were closed already.

She was incredibly lucky she was able to make friends fast. Jasmine and Maddy were two of the people she clicked with that first week, and she was thankful their dorm wasn't too far away. And that's where she ended up most nights instead of her own.

She knocked quietly on their door, letting out a sigh of relief when Maddy opened it. The other girl tilted her head when she saw her. "Again?"

Daya nodded a little. "Yeah...Can I study here?"

"I think we're just going to get you your own key." Maddy said, taking her arm to guide her inside. "Have you talked to RA about switching yet?"

"Multiple times. They keep saying there's no room and they'll get back to me later." Daya placed her bag down. They were already three months into the semester and apparently there was still nothing that could be done. "I don't know what to do anymore. And my roommate just blows me off if I try talking to her."

"That's annoying." Jasmine said from her bed on the other side of the room, looking up from her notebook. The botany major frowned when she saw Daya's expression. "You look exhausted, hun."

"I am." Daya whispered, opening her bag to pull out her laptop. She couldn't exactly sleep in her own room too often. She squeaked when Maddy grabbed her by the arms and pulled her up onto her bed.

"I know you have to study, but you need to rest after." She said, her pencil tapping against her own textbook. "We really don't mind you crashing here."

Daya whispered a thank you, trying to focus on the work she had to do. As if concentrating wasn't already hard enough for her, it was almost impossible to do it in a space that wasn't her own. Her eyes always ended up wandering away from her laptop screen and the textbook beside her.

Maddy and Jasmine's room was the exact opposite of hers. The two girls were very different, but it somehow worked out. Their room was basically split in half. Jasmine's side was covered in all sorts of plants. They covered every open space, there were packets of seeds tucked between books on her bookshelf, and she even had a bag of some sort of special soil that she kept hidden in one of her drawers. She even slept with flower shaped pillows.

Maddy's side was completely different. She was a cinematography major, and instead of plants, she had models and posters from different movies and her different cameras set up on her bookshelf. The Star Wars ones were Daya's personal favorites. There were different lights folded up and stored in one corner and a whole box of different microphones tucked under the desk.

There was one thing they shared though. That was the little fish tank in the middle of the room that housed Henry the goldfish. And they bonded over the squishmallows they both collected. Meanwhile, Daya wasn't even allowed to place her dinosaur plushies on her bed. Her roommate claimed they were distracting. She just wished she had gotten placed with someone like Jasmine or Maddy.

"Have you tried looking for a roommate on your own?" Jasmine asked, looking over from where she was busy watering one of her plants. "There's a lot of apartment complexes in walking distance from here."

Daya shook her head a little. "No, not really. Do you think there's anyone who needs one?"

"There usually always is." Maddy said, sketching along the corners of her notebook she was supposed to be writing in. "You should look some up. It'd be a lot better than your dorm."

"You can actually sleep and have your own space." Jasmine placed her little watering can down, now focusing on the different leaves of the plant that hung over her bed.

That didn't sound too bad. Daya had a job at the library she worked after her classes, she'd be able to split the rent with someone. And she was desperate to get out of her current situation. So for now, she abandoned her work and went searching for someone, anyone who was looking for a roommate.

And that's when she found Bosco's post.

----

Writing a college au feels nostalgic. Hope you liked the first chapter.